innertubes

I just got a new inner-tube for my moped and noticed it has a little metal ring on the valve. Is this sapposed to go on the valve after you put it through the rim hole? or before ? The old tube i took off didn't have one, if i don't use it, could something bad happen?

Re: innertubes

Some valves are threaded all the way to the rim .. some are not. If it's threaded, a nut, either round and knurled (so it can be turned by hand) or a hex-nut is used to secure the valve to the rim, holding it in place and making it easier to inflate an empty tube.

This one's threaded and uses the nut (It's a Presta but many Schraders are also threaded.)

This is a non-threaded Schrader and uses no nut.

I was just talking about the washer, I think it goes on the valve before you push the vlave through the rim hole. Then you screw on the nut. The problem I'm having is that this washer keeps the bead from sitting right. I'm just wondering if I can go without the washer and not have a problem.

washer? is that what you meant by a little metal ring on the valve? I wouldnt put anything on a valve behind/under the rim ..

A stem washer protects the chrome rim from being scratched by the nut.. but these tubes can go on a wide variety of bikes and rim styles.. If the washer interferes, don't use it.

I don't understand about the "bead" not sitting right.. A tire's bead goes all the way around the tire.. A bead is a steel wire core in the tire's inside edges..

Yeah mine came with two nuts? Does one go on the inside of the rim and the other go on the outside as joew shows.

Mine blewout the other day 10 miles from work of course no tube had to get to work so rode @ 10 mph made it ,but my original had no nut on inside and just one on outside so I ended up putting one on the inside to Did I make a mistake??Jim

with two nuts, one nut acts like a lock-nut .. jam one against the other so the they won't come loose.

i can't see a good reason to put anything on the stem under the rim, but i do see ways that it could cause trouble.. like preventing the tube from laying smooth and flat against the rim by preventing the valve stem from extending as far out as it would otherwise.

Don Pflueger /

the washer goes on the rim, not inside the rim.

Don Pflueger /

i agree with joe. double nut it and use the one as a jam nut. never put anything inside the rim other than a rim band if its a spoked wheel.

Ok thanks I'll change it tommorow.Jim

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account