Murray Puch

Hi, I just bought a 198? Murray Puch moped that is runs but has a slow gas leak even when its not running. Does anyone have any advice for what might be the problem? I am trying to buy a manual so that I can look into fixing the problem myself...but any advice/support would be rad.

Re: Murray Puch

Jason Luther /

can you tell where the fuel is leaking from?

your carb's float boal gasket might be bad. thats the case on all my puchs, heh. it causes slow leaking of gas. its not so bad when it runs.. the engine probably gets so hot the gas evaporates before i can notice it.. but when it is off and sits it definitely leaks gas. you can just use it like this as long as you turn the petcock off when its not running.. or else you might try to ride one day and find that you ran out of gas.... that's what i do. cheaper than buying new gaskets

but yeah w/o knowing the location of the leak, who can say for sure... the float bowl gaskets are a common problem, though. look for gas pooling around the left top of the engine under the carb.

I had a Murray Puch when I was like 14. Really good running mopeds. I agree with the sean on this one. Either that or you may have a bad petcock. Can you be more specific as far as where the leak is coming from??

yeah, i've got alot of cleaning to do before I can tell where the leak is coming from. its pretty cruddy down there...but thanks for the help!!

if the leak is on the tank you can use bar soap (dial,irish spring) to temporarilly stop the leak it worked on my scooter

Um, he might not want to get soap in his gas. That would be bad, methinks. Most moped shops can supply you with a new bing carb gasket and puch petcock. I think 1977 mopeds has both of those in stock right now. You should check your petcock first. Take the fuel line off and go through the 3 positions. One should be off, and two others should be on.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account