Avanti Supersport Repair

In this thread I plan to ask questions, show pictures, make updates, and generally be a great guy.

Let's start it off with some background: I bought a 2000(?) Avanti SuperSport in Burke, VA today, at 1:00 PM, and brought it home by 2. I've taken off the side panels, and generally gotten to know the beast. Initially I was very impressed with it.

Here's a photo: http://img114.imageshack.us/img114/7260/avanti5oe.jpg

(the sidepanels are off for the time being)

Now I have a couple of problems that I would greatly appreciate some help with. I need to know what this coupler (http://img257.imageshack.us/img257/6682/avanticonnector7cl.jpg) is supposed to attach to. i can't find anything to connect it to. I'd really appreciate a description and picture from anyone that has one on hand.

The clutch, which nees a replacement handle (no biggie) does not seem to catch. Even after pushing the clutch arm back all the way, cranking the pedals does not turn the engine. I can spin the flywheel, which cranks the piston, but I can't get the clutch to engage. What is most likely broken? How can I troubleshoot? Also, how far back does the clutch arm need to swivel to engage the clutch? (pictures preffered, but diagrams are ok too) So I can adjust the clutch cable accordingly.

It seems like my moped has had some 'aftermarket rewiring' done to it. Though I really doubt it was stolen some time in its history, I have to ask: does anyone recognize this 'ped?

Thank you all very much for your responses and attention.. I know my ego needs it.

Re: Avanti Supersport Repair

and

respectively.

Grab the Avanti manual on this page .. its got a couple wiring diagrams that might be useful..

http://www.mopedriders.org/article_cat.php?fldAuto=2

Call the 800 number and see if you can get a factory Service Manual.. I think your bike's been modified.. no telling to what degree.. and you might need one.

Fix it's lever and then play with starting clutch adjustment ..

Thanks for the link, i'll throw Avanti-usa a line and see if i can pick up a copy for a legitimate price.

Does anyone know if the spark plug wire is seperate from the ignition coil? can I replace the wire without replacing the coil?

News.

Removed transmission cover, to find this-

along with a couple peices of broken up clutch rubber. I'll assume that's supposed to be a full ring, not broken up like that.

I guess that's why the clutch wouldn't engage.

What needs to be replaced, where can i get it, and does anyone have any idea how this could have happened?

Perry Manessis /

Daniel, click this link http://www.mopedriders.org/html/manuals/garelli/csm/garellicsm.htm It's the Garelli repair manual, check pages 70 & 71. The Avanti's are based on the Garelli VIP aka Grand Sport Twin motor. It looks like you are missing the clutch starter plate and the 4 rubber grommets that attach it to the starter disk. Since you have the tranny cover off, check to see if the rubber clutches are any good. It looks like that ped was left out, water is really bad for this tranny with the Garelli based rubber clutch system. You moped is not a 2000, it's either a 2001 or newer, you can tell by either the VIN plate, the carb. on 2000's was a 14/12 Dell'Orto with a 50 jet, the carb. on 2001's and later was a 14/14 Pacco with a 54 jet and also the muffler on the 2001's and later have the expansion chamber. As for the plug, check the wiring diagram on my owners manual I posted on the MRA site, here's a link to it, but remeber, sometimes they chage the colors of the wires without notice. http://www.mopedriders.org/article_view.php?faq=2&fldAuto=29

if you look at that image, you'll see that there is no second gear clutch rubber, and that the second gear clutch drum has been ripped apart.

Does anyone have any idea how this could have happened?

My hypothesis is that the moped was traveling in second gear when the previous owner was in an accident and the starter clutch was engaged (handle smashed against the ground) It was traveling at such a speed that the clutch literally ripped itself apart.

Does that sound logical?

Anyways, I found a place in Baltimore that should be able to order some avanti parts for me.

Daniel if it was stolen the theif would most likely removeed the VIN so it can't be identified if the police or owner found it.

good point there. That's one less thing to worry about.

Perry Manessis /

The second gear clutch rubber sits on the outer rim of the first gear clutch drive and grabs onto the inside of the second gear outer drum. You must take off the outer drum to see both clutches.

You'd better LISTEN to Perry M. here,Buddy! He knows these things........he can get you back on the road. don-ohio (:^D

Perry Manessis /

BTW, I have dial up so I couldn't wait to see the pick, but after looking at the pick now, you will need a bunch of stuff. You're going to need the starter plate, 4 rubber grommets, 2nd gear outer drum and a second gear clutch rubber but I would also get the first gear clutch rubber as it's always best to change them in pairs. Call with Walt at J&J Sales <avanti-usa.com> they are the importers, so you will get them faster than going through a dealer. Make sure that when you pull off the first gear rubber clutch, the first gear drum freewheeels on the crankshaft, they have been known to freeze up on the crankshaft.

Thanks for the info perry! I'll call walt ASAP.

Out of curiosity, do you have a guestimate of how much that would be?

Perry Manessis /

The clutches are cheap, about $25-30 for both. I don't know about the second gear clutch drum, but I bought a first gear drum and 4 rubber grommets for the starting plate from them last year and everything came out to around $65. Problem with Avanti-USA is that the parts go very quickly when they get them in, so you have to keep on calling Walt.

I finally got in contact with J&J, and they tell me that clutch rubbers are few and far between. If anyone knows anywhere else I can get them, please let me know.

Blaise Margherito /

Try steves moped.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account