need help whith rust in fuel tank for a vespa ciao

Erick Golden /

please help me i need to know how to remove rust from this fuel tank whitout cutting it in have. tank's for info

Re: need help whith rust in fuel tank for a vespa

There are no easy answers.. the tank would be treated in the same way a removable tank is treated..

If the rust problem is serious or if it leaks or if you want a perfectly clean tank, cutting a stratigically located hole or two in the tank's sheet metal may make repairs and cleaning a lot easier.

Some people suggest the stripped frame can be hung from a tree limb by a rope to shake, turn and manipulate it around while cleaning, preping and coating it's interior (Kreem).

i have a ciao that has gone through multiple problems due to age, and i did the por-15 tank cleaning and coating system, which is similar to the kreem process. I bought it at a local motorcycle shop, and it took about a day and a half all together before i was done. For coating all the inside, i had a friend help my roll the ped around and tip it upside down and whatnot. it's not easy, but worth it.

there are also several home remedies that are in this forum as well that should do the trick too. do a search for "rusty tank" and you should find a lot of answers.

get an inline fuel filter for now.

need help whith rust in fuel tank for a vespa ciao

Blaise Margherito /

use kroll or kroil oil. soak a rag with it and let it sit. I dont know if they still sell it but if they do use that.

drain the tank off all gas and disconect the fuel line from the fule shut off to the carb and diconect the gas linde and set the fule valve in the off position and then clean the tank out with water a like to drops of soap drain that and the rinse it with water then go find a rust remover and spray it in the tank let it sit for a while the rinse it out the rinse it with soap and water then just with water then hook all you lines back up and put gas in it

IF YOU CAN GET THE TANK OFF THE BIKE THEN THIS IS WHAT i DID WITH MY DX50 TANK

i FILLED IT WITH NUTS AND BOLTS AND SOME PENETRATING OIL AND THEN AGITATED IT HARD...

FINALLY CLEANING IT OUT WITH SOME FRESH PETROL

INLINE FUEL FILTER IS ALSO A MUST

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account