Thought I Was Good At Wiring

mrmarc /
This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.

Hi guys, last night I was trying to get the lights going on my Motobecane 50v. I have been restoring it and so far I have had it running without any lights plugged in (see the top of the attached pic). Then when I plugged the headlight in, it wouldn't start how it was, so I swapped around the wiring (as per the bottom picture in my attached pic). Then when I was trying to start it there were some sparks from the wiring before it reached the spark plug. Now the coil doesn't work. I know this because I substituted the coil for another one, disconnected the headlight and it works. I have used a multimeter to test both coils and it appears there is no resistance between the terminals on the faulty coil, so looks like I killed it. The headlight still works though.

MY QUESTION IS: how could I kill the coil just by messing up the wiring??? Are they that sensitive? Can anyone give me a clue of what I did wrong from my picture?

Now I am hesitant to continue because I only have one working coil, especially if it's that easy to break it while I am trying to figure out the lights (plus adding indicators/blinkers).

This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account