fixing a worn crank seal

Jason Luther /

the cady from HELL has a bad crank seal. and as luck would have it, non are available. anyone got any tricks on convincing a bad seal to , well, seal? ive come this far, there is no way in hell im gonna trash the ped over a piece of rubber

Re: fixing a worn crank seal

is there a number and perhaps a manufacturer name (or an abbreviation) on the seal?

Jason Luther /

i havent removed it in fear of doing more damage. whats the proper way of removing them anyways? i just suspect the seal is bad. i could get it to run okay before i heated the crank up with a torch (to repair another problem) but now it wont run at all, and ive checked everything else. if it _is_ bad would the stator nessesarely be covered in oil? it is not now.

_would the stator nessesarely be covered in oil?_

Probably not, since there is no oil in the Cady crankcase. Oil/gas mix does swirl around in there, but since the bike hasn't run since the seal went bad, there hasn't been much chance for it to leak into the stator area.

There is always the repair manual in the articles section of mopedriders.org.. but crank seal replacement is a rather in-depth job, from what I recall. And the Motobecanes require a lot of special tools for the engine work.

I'm sure you can fake your way out of a few of these tools, but it's very easy to make things worse, if you slip up.

Maybe someone will show up with an easy technique.. till then, I'd think about a pro repair.

You can pry the seal out but you will destroy it while doing so.

Then you will have nothing to show the guy at the bearing store. You normally have to split the crankcase to get it out in one piece. The guy at the bearing store will measure it and be able to replace it.

Plus, if you pry it out you will probably get junk in your main bearings.

hey jason-

did you get the crank/bearing issues resolved? good luck with the seal.

-nate

Sometimes a seal makes a deep groove on it's shaft.. so it leaks. One way to fix that is to shim behind the seal, moving it's lip's contact area to a new, smooth part of the shaft..

Neoprene resists heat pretty well but it will burn. If it's damaged i dont know of a way to fix it. But i wouldn;t think you would be able to heat the crankshaft to the point where it damaged the seal .. gota get everything pretty freakin hot.

So this engine won't run at all? Seems like you'd get something out of it even with a bad seal.

Some gas-oil will get past a bad seal .. sprinkle some Talcum powder in the area .. it will absorb leaking fluid and change color. But if the engine isn't running there's nothing much to see. A crankcase leak-down test seems like a better test .. Hand-pump a few pounds (5 or 6) of air into the case. Pressure should hold for a few minutes if there are no leaks.

Jason Luther /

ive taken the motor completely apart 3 times now, so that isnt an issue. the special tools are a gimmick :) actually its apart, again, right now. joe, the idea of shifting the seal a little is a good one and ill try it. i dont know about pumping up the crankcase though. how would you even do that? nate, i did get the crank welded and repaired, but the snowball keeps growing and growing. its just that it ran (with the bad crank) before i heated it up, i got it pretty hot, so i replaced and tested all the magneto parts, and im getting good spark. although the condensor i replaced was used, so i guess that could have been bad too. so the only thing im left with is the crank seal. mopeds, gotta love em. but not cadys, they SUCK

Are you sayin' you checked with HANDY BIKES?1-614-299-0550 and Chris at www.mopedwarehouse.com and you can't find a seal?

I'll bet BJ at Handy Bikes and Chris have them. don-ohio

jason

quit messing around and replace the crank seals and bearings. my buddy did the same to his moby and now it runs great. then i bought it from him. he bought both the seals and bearings from

some guy in holland....they are motobecane only parts.

nothing will interchange....i looked. odd sizes.

his e-mail is hairymoped@sbcglobal.net............he can tell you where and how he bought his seals and bearings.

you will also need the correct flywheel puller/clutch puller tool.

MWH has the pullers....maybe they have seals and bearings too....

Jason Luther /

its a cady, nobody has nothing. but its fixed (at least it runs i should say). thanks though

I buy mine from a BEARING SUPPLY STORE they seem to have all sorts of whats called "OIL RETAINNING RING" they even had a verry unusual one used on my JAWA. Look in the directory under Bearing Supplyers and go from there. GOOD LUCK

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account