'76 Puch Maxi, not revving!

Hello, I bought a '76 puch Maxi on June 4 and have spent until today restoring it. I have replaced alot, and most importantly, rebuilt the carburetor today. I gaot it to run indefinitely with decent power, but the engine won't rev very high, and this is with full throttle. I obtained the bike without some parts, like chain guards or an airbox. The carb, therefore, has its intake, but no tube or airbox, it is just a bare carb. If I put my finger over the air inlet while it is running on the kickstand, it revs like crazy, please help, I've put alot of work into this beautiful moped, I want it to run like the champ I know it can be. Thanks

Re: '76 Puch Maxi, not revving!

what you need is an airbox

what does the airbox do that would make that much of a difference? and how can I get an airbox, parts are hard to come by.

it restricts the air flow and allows more gas into the carb thus revving higher

you can find one at themopedwarehouse.com

I have a bigger jet, would that help?

not sure but an airbox is a must\

it might .. depends on the jet, the carb and a few other things.

But then it won't run right with the airbox installed.. The airbox is an intake-roar silencer and provides filtered air while protecting the engine from rain and mud.

Why look a gift-horse in the mouth.. You "put alot of work into this beautiful moped" and are just inches away from getting that thing to run great. Start modifying stuff and who knows where you'll end up.

Moped warehouse doesn't have the part, should I continue to search on Ebay, or make my own air cleaner? I'm pretty good at making things, and I have a friends with a fabrication shop, but if I neeed the original, I'll keep searching. Thanks for your help, I can feel that the end to this restoration is near, I can't wait to get out and ride!

Jason Luther /

if you only looked on the website at mopedwarehouse, you wont see the airbox, email them and email ikesbikes.com as well. they should only be about $15 and make a world of difference

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account