Unleaded Gas - Puch Maxi

Hi,

My 77 Maxi says NO UNLEADED GAS, but is it still ok ??

Is there a good 2 stroke oil with the lead additive included??

I'm using Honda GN2 oil now. Is it a god / bad oil?

Any recommendations ??

Thanks, Bill

Re: Unleaded Gas - Puch Maxi

at one time people were using "White Gas" (aka Coleman fuel) and messing up their engines.. this stuff was "unleaded" so it wouldnt foul stoves and heaters..

So moped manufacturers hadda warn people to use only the (at that time) very common leaded gasoline from the gas station.

What they are actually warning about is to use only gasoline, not white gas (which is actually a highly refined kerosene ). Unleaded pump gasoline is ok.

brilliant! I have been ordering gas on the black market.

What Joe said.

However, there are still some old timers out there who are stuck in the '70's and probably think these engines would suffer by using unleaded gas. Some car engine manufacturers in the '70's cheapened the engines by not using hardened valve seats. It was found that the lead in gas did have some lubrication properties and would allow unhardened valve seats to last in those positions. When we switched over to unleaded gas those cars had problems, so a LOT of people thought that taking the lead out affected other engines, so it has taken a long time to get those old wives tales to die. This is also why there are lead or pseudo lead additives for gasoline on the market (though by now all those affected engines should either be in the junkyard or re-built with hardened valve seats by now). Two stroke engines never relied on the lead in gas for lubrication, therefore, don't bother with the lead additives.

Now we have ethanol in gas that is creating new wives tales.

Paul

Gromosaurus Rex - Brad Pitt /

9 mopeds later....and now you tell me

Gromosaurus Rex - Brad Pitt /

what are the wives tales associated with ethanol ?

Mainly that the gas goes "bad" after a month. I have a few small engines that sit with various levels of gas or gas/oil for 4 months or more and have not had any increase in problems with the ethanol gas. Do the carbs get gummed up? Yes, but it has not been anymore of a frequent occurance than prior to ethanol in the gas. As a matter of fact, outside of my messing with my long stored moped this summer, I have not had to clean any of my carbs in at least 3 years, the lawn tractor being the last carb I had to clean, prior to the moped. I have never had my gas trimmer or chainsaw apart since I bought them about 5 and 4 years ago, respectively. My chainsaw sat for more than a year before I used it this past summer. Did it start on the first pull? No, but it after a couple/few pulls, it started and ran through two tanks of gas without missing a beat. In the interest of complete disclosure, my lawn tractor would idle rough while I used up the gas that sat in the shed from the previous fall, but running at WOT while cutting, it would not skip a beat. That did not happen prior to the ethanol. But it does not happen to my two strokes because I do not have any problems with up to a year old gas/oil mix (I normally burn through a gallon of gas/oil in a year, with the moped, it should go quicker).

Anyway, for comparison, my Honda C70 (need to dig out and start messing with again) which I used to use frequently in the summer, back in the mid '80's through mid '90's, I used to have to clean the carb every 1 - 2 summers because I used to leave the gas in the tank and the gas in the carb. And the C70 would run idle roughly until I burnt through all the old gas. My C70 would sit 6 months or more with the old gas in it.

Anyway, that's my experience and anyone who wants to argue that ethanol in the gas makes the gas go "bad" sooner can argue away. I know what my experience has taught me, and ethanol is staying in the gas for the foreseeable future. I'm not trying to convince people that ethanol gas is no worse than the non-ethanol gas, I only offer my own anecdotal evidence to provide a different experience and perspective. What people choose to believe is up to them.

Paul

Probably Fred /

6 year old thread ha ha

But ya leaded gas kept longer cause the alcohol didn't evaporate

Us baby boomers loved leaded gas. Our cars, boats, motorbikes ran much better

Michael Koerber /

Use of leaded gas in 2-stroke engines gives you a nice lead threat between the electrodes of your spark plug. Of course that kills any spark and hits at the most inopportune moment. Be prepared to clean the plug every couple of weeks. Been there, done that

Probably Fred /

Tetra Ethel lead (a anti knock compound) never in the history of gas engines does it hurt spark plugs.

Lead additive maybe ya

I think that's what he meant. At least that was how I read it.

White Gas , dont use

fallout Survivor /

dont use white gas in mopeds is what it means (stuff you put in lanterns and stoves.).

All modern gas at the pump is ok. although ethanolic gas should be avoided.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account