multifaceted acceleration/running too rich/etc. Q

Charles /
This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.

Sorry for the long title...

I've been searching trought the forums for a while now and can't seem to pinpoint an answer to my problem.

So, here's the story.

Got an 86 maxi with the 70cc kit from steve's moped (head, 15mm amal carb, manifold, biturbo).

when i got the moped home, the acceleration was terrible, like 0-15 in 20 seconds, and that was with pushing it with my feet to get off the line. I made sure the exhaust was tight, cleaned the carb, new plug, etc. Little better acceleration then, but not by much. Also, the acceleration was much better when the engine was cold and became worse as the engine heated up. However, the acceleration between 15 and 20 was great. no problems getting up to top speed from there (top speed about 40). When i open the throttle from a stand still, the engine sounds like it bogs, and if i don't push with my feet, i feel like i wouldn't move at all.

Got rid of the biturbo for a tecno estoril. Much better acceleration, but still not much off the line. the acceleration was improved, but it still accelerated better when cold.

I was having some trouble with the engine flooding and difficult starts. I took the plug put and it was soaked, and there was oil/unburnt gas leaking from around the exhaust port still.

I had the person i bought the ped from come take a look at it. He said it was probably a float or jet problem with the carb. So, i replaced the carb completely and decided to fix the other one and sell it.

I put the new carb on, and I'm still having the same acceleration issues. Could a problem be that the manifold is tilted back toward the engine such that the carb is not level then the bike is level? The carb sits at about a 20 degree angle above the horizontal.

Haven't done a compression test yet, but that's my next step.

Sorry for such a long post, but any advice would be GREATLY appreciated.

cheers,

-charles

This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account