Fresh oil on the ground

Okay, I was having some issues before with my moped leaking oil. (1987 Trac Olympic) The only thing was, the oil was black and already burnt, but was coming out where the exhaust was leaking. I got that fixed. Now here we go again with another issue. I haven't started my ped or anything for like 5 days, and it has been sitting on the porch. Well I went out the other day and saw some oil on the ground, but assumed it was from the lawn mower, and just moved my moped. Well today when I went outside and looked, again a nice little puddle of oil on the ground and it's fresh. I checked my oil level, and it has dropped a bit, so I know it's leaking, but I don't know where the hell it's coming from. I looked up underneath the moped, but didn't see anything...so I felt around the general area underneath, and again, nothing. It seems to be coming out somewhere right above the kickstand, as the oil is all around the kick stand on the left side more than the right. Anyone have any suggestions?? I also noticed there is a hose that is unhooked and hanging down, but there's no oil in the hose, or any oil residue....so I'm going to see if I can get the cover off and check out where that hose needs to go. I'm hoping that this hose is all that is wrong, but I have no clue. If it is the hose that brings oil to the engine, thank God I haven't run it, or I could have siezed the piston. My main thing is....if it is the hose that delivers the oil...then why is there still oil in the tank???? Hmmm...I'm confused. I don't want to start it up and risk siezing it up until I know what I'm dealing with. Anyone please help out a fellow ped owner with this one??? Thanks in advance.

Re: Fresh oil on the ground

Well...upon closer inspection after removing the covers, I found where I believe it is leaking. It's leaking around the carb on the left side. But I don't smell any gas, just oil. I am kicking myself right now...I'm starting to wonder just what the hell have I gotten myself into? Anyone able to offer any advice on this one??

Michael Schumacker /

oil pump tube inside of your pump is broke. i had the same problem the tube isnt expensive so mix your gfas and oil and drive to your local repair shop

That tube would make it leak out by the carb on the left side?? Thanks for your response.

Replace the gaskets, put teflon tape on the bolts, and make sure all the bolts are nice and tight(just make sure you don't strip the bolts out. Also, make sure the oil and gas line are on the fittings well.

Ok. I can check that out. Gaskets for it may be hard to get though. Also, another question....there is a hose off that is hanging down on the right side but for some odd reason...one side of it is hooked to the battery??? It's like a clear hose and is about 4 inches in length, and one side of it is on the right side of the battery, the other end is just hanging there. Anyone have any ideas as to what that could be??? Thanks. Any other suggestions bout my leak?

just drive and if it breaks then u worry about it

Leon Swarmer /

The clear hose is a vent for the battery. as it charges is may produce some vapor. if it weren't vented it could explode..

well maybe not on a ped...anyway it doesn't go to anything.

Leon

preemptive action is required in this case, repairs cost time and money. better eliminate the possiblity of a problem first before it arises and causes trouble

_I’m starting to wonder just what the hell have I gotten myself into? _

Nothing unusual for a bike of that age, that has spent a lot of time sitting around doing nothing. The world's an imperfect place, seals go bad all the time.

But I would get it fixed.. you don't want the oil to find it's way onto the back tire, or the bike's pristine condition could change rapidly.

I'm going to go ahead and have it fixed. I'm not going to run it or anything until I do. I don't want to make things worse. I'm out of commission for a while anyways, so I've got a week or so before I can ride again anyway. I'm just trying to figure out exactly what I'm dealing with here. I love this ped, and yesterday I was a bit upset, but I know with age and everything that this is to be expected. Thank you all for your replies. Keep riding :)

Grr....earlier today when I put the key in it, it was getting power just fine. I went to start it up because I think I figured out where the oil was coming from exactly, and it is getting no power at all. The only person who messed with anything was my hubby, and he just took out the fuse, but put it back in. No power=no start. I checked all the wires around the battery, and everything looks alright, so my question is, what could have happened??

Angie, I wanted to tell you that the Trac is not noted for being a great bike, but you were so excited, I thought.....`Well,maybe for her it will be a good one?'

I would've stuck with the Sebring or Raven, if that's what you had.

I hope the Trac DOES turn out okauy for you,though. don-ohio

John Joedicke /

Pull the fuse again and replace with a known good one. Your fault may be there if that is all he screwed with.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account