Suzuki FA50 Piston rings questions

I used the seach onn the forum before deciding to post and found nother to directly answer my question so here goes.

I was talking to some guys in their garage and noticed a FA50 sitting in the "project pile". I offered to buy it and he said after getting it fixed up he'd name me a price. He told me that he heard from his freind that the piston rings need to be replaced frequently and weren't designed for long term use.

Are the piston rings something that burn out after so many miles and need to be replaced often?

I don't have a moped yet and hope to start my own swarm soon.

Thankyou for your time.

Drezliok

Terry A.

Re: Suzuki FA50 Piston rings questions

New rings may be a part of 'normal' maintainance on the larger, faster 2-stroke bikes.. Mopeds were engineered to be used for low speed, low stress, reliable transportation and are tuned to run practically forever with little maintainance if properly cared for. On a stock moped the rings can last a really long time. In any case the rings are easy to replace.

I'd recommend you use the 'Search' function and learn something about the FA50.. Search for prices on used FA50's in the same condition and year (The Buy / Sell Forum .. Ebay, etc) See what people think about that bike and about other brands and models of moped. There are still thousands upon thousands of mopeds in great condition, abandoned and forgotten in garages everywhere.

Different bikes have different advantages and disadvantages. Some have parts that are near impossible to find.. some are hard to modify. Some are slower than others. Some are less suitable for climbing hills, etc.

Thankyou.

I had originally wanted a Honda Ruckus but the money for it flew away and I don't want to pay 2000+ to a dealer knowing I could get something cheaper.

As for ebay, I've looked around and can't find anything in my price range or location.

One nice thing about mopeds is no registration fees, no motorcycle license needed, etc. Depending on local traffic laws you can usually ride wherever bicycles can go...

Exact classification requirements for a "moped" or motorized bicycle depend on the State DMV or the country's/area's highway codes. (btw.. the FA50 has no pedals? Might be wise to check out your State's DMV Moped requirements before buying it.)

As far as i know, the Ruckus does not qualify under the moped classification anywhere in the USA or Canada.

I did check it is under Michigan law a moped, with a 200 pound rider it's suposed to stay under 35 and it's 50cc.

I was going to get it from a Honda Power Sport dealership but then reality caught me. 2000 is too much.

Anyways here there are registration fees and license needed [only a moped license]

I don't tknow where you're getting you info, but here's the Michigan definition..

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/mileg.asp?page=getObject&objName=mcl-257-32b&highlight=

257.32b "Moped" defined.

Sec. 32b.

"Moped" means a 2- or 3-wheeled vehicle which is equipped with a motor that does not exceed 50 cubic centimeters piston displacement, produces 2.0 brake horsepower or less, and cannot propel the vehicle at a speed greater than 30 miles per hour on a level surface. The power drive system shall not require the operator to shift gears.

:

The FA50 would apply.. but everything i've found on the Ruckus says it's average out-of-the-box top speed is 37 to 40mph.

So, i'd still call the DMV. They usually keep a list of manufacturers and models that are approved and designated "Mopeds" in that State. You can get a '03 Ruckus for near $1100 or so.

I must no know where to look for a ruckus. havn't seen any forsale.

As for the FA50 It's abit older than I'd like. Being new to repairing my own ride will be a challenge.

I've been recommended to get a Moped used that runs fine instead of a broken fixer upper.

Do some shopping around .. spend as much as you can afford.

http://chicago.craigslist.org/mcy/86281025.html

2003 Honda Ruckus - $1498

warranty, 700 miles only, mint, great condition 100-150mpg, off road ready, red and black with locking wheel and helmet storage area, email for mre info: officehunk1202 at hotmaildotcom or call arpan 224-7666068 thanks

But the Ruckus is overpriced from the get-go.. why not go with something a lot more powerful for just a bit more money.. 150cc .. electric start.. front disk ..

http://www.tngscooters.com/DesktopDefault.aspx?TabId=124

I'll be looking over the winter I think. One of the reasons for a moped is although I am 22 I don't have a valid driver's license. So a moped would get me around.

Anyways I'm keeping my options open. Work freind offered me through another of his freinds on a stolen bike. Turned it down, nice offer $200. But it only makes people want to steal more if you r buying the stolen goods.

ARG I wish there was an edit feature on this board... the space between the "you" and "r" anoys me... It was supposed to be "Your".

Anyways you tempt me with rugged toys.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account