Batavus No Spark

Hello all,

So I cannot get my batavus to start. I've cleaned the carb, and when I test for spark (with the spark plug out and against the cylinder) it smells very strongly of gasoline, So I'm almost entirely sure that it's gettting enough gas. It has good compression, I'm sure of that too. That leaves spark. I replaced the condensor and the points, and set the timing fairly accurately, and when I test for spark, it sparks, though intermittently. But sometimes when I test for spark it sparks very Well, and then I stick the plug in and try to start it and it won't even fire, not once. I just don't get it, I mean, in my best estimation, I have all of the three things required for an engine to run. I mean, the spark's not the best, but it's not bad enough to make it not run, right? Please help, thanks a bunch.

Re: Batavus No Spark

Doing the timing is a skilfull operatinon that does not just involve adjusting the points. If you get a spark but not ignition I would suspect that the timing is not satisfactory make shure you have installed everything right including following the wires to make shure there is no grounding. Sounds to me like your pints might not be closing well if the spark is intermittent. With out more details this is the best advice I can give.

Mike Scouty McScoutington /

also check your exhaust. in addition to the before mentioned things you need somewhere for the burnt gases to go. if the pipe or port is clogged then the bike wont run either.

Don Pflueger /

how much compression does it have? crank seals may be bad. base gasket may be leaking. reeds may be worn out or stuck open, exhaust pipe and port may be plugged up. all these things will prevent it from starting and make you smell excess fuel.

Don Pflueger /

there is a batavus service manual at www.mopedriders.org in the moped repair section.

Leon Swarmer /

You should have a good blue spark every revolution

If it isn't firing consistently with the plug out it will prollly be worse with the plug in place.

Leon

Leon Swarmer /

Still haven;'t heard you say you gapped the points..They must open and close correctly or you have problems.

Leon

Okay, so this may not have anything to do with why it won't start, but tonight I went out and fiddled with it. I had my friend peddle it while I looked through the flywheel at the points. There was a spark, between them. I know that a new condensor should fix this, but it has one in and still sparks. I tried it with a different (brand new) condensor and it still sparked between the points. Furthermore, not only was it sparking between the points, it was sparking at the spark plug too. It was sparking at both places at once. Isn't that not supposed to happen? Anyway, does anyone know how it could do this, and how the spark could still jump the points with a new condensor? Thanks.

Don Pflueger /

clean and tighten all grounds. when you installed the condensor, did you remove and clean the stator plate and the coils and every part in the magneto? a small amount of rust can cause a lot of problems. also, holding the spark plug against the engine while testing for spark may not give you a good clean solid connection between the plug base and the engine block. this may cause the arcing as well.

Michael Schumacker /

check your sprk plug and cap also check your magnetotry not to give it gas until it starts to rev and die out because you could be flooding your engine explaining the gas smell

I also noticed this happening on my Batavus. I clamped my spark plug to the cyl. head. I then used a drill with a socket connection to spin the fly wheel. I observed intermittent orange sparks between the points as the flywheel spun.

What is the proper way to ground the spark plug?

When the parts come, I plan on replacing the magneto components and redoing the timing. Any other suggestions?

Thanks

Don Pflueger /

as long as the plug is touching the engine block you should see spark. points and condensor are all you should need to replace. follow the service manual on www.mopedriders.org in the moped repair section.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account