Wheel alignment

Brett McCawley /

I have a 2002 Tomos Targa LX with a Front to Rear wheel alignment. The front sits left of the rear wheel about the width of the front or just a bit more look from behind the unit (dog Tracking). I have checked the shock tubes there straight. The Moped has 550 miles on it with minor scratches. Looking for ideas.

Re: Wheel alignment

John Joedicke /

Bent forks?

Brett McCawley /

I have disassembled the front forks and checked them and thay are straight per a steel straight edge. Then reversed from left to right. ending up with the same issue.

why do you suspect the front end? Could the rear wheel be misaligned?

Brett McCawley /

This was the first area I tried to adjust. Was not able to adjust the rear wheel enough to correct the problem. Are you thinking the swing arms or rear shocks etc., could be bent? Or maybe the frame?

Thank you for your insight.

Unless the bike was in an accident i wouldn't suspect any part of the frame..

To align the wheels on a bike, you can use two long straight pieces of wood.. lay them on the ground aside and against the rear tire.. the front tire should be centered between the two pieces of wood.

The bike has a chain drive? Sight down the top of the chain.. the chain and front sprocket should be in a straight line.. Or remove the chain and putt a straight edge flat againt the rear sprocket. The front (drive) sprocket should line up perfectly..

I don't own a Tomos and wouldn't know exactly why this rear wheel wouldn't have enough room to move.. perhaps the chain is stretched and the wheel's axle is too far back on the swingarm.. have you changed sprockets? Did you change the chain's length?

Explain the situation on the rear.. where does the axle hit and what prevents it from being adjusted more straight.. Maybe someone else has a suggestion.

Brett McCawley /

The Moped has been laid down the faring is scuffed by the head light the handle bar don't seem to look bent all original turn signals are in-tack & all plastic in good shape. I just bought is for my son & didn't notice it be for purchase I rode it down the street after bring it home & notice the problem. Everything else fine. The seller did tell me it had been laid over, however the scuffs didn't look that bad.

The rear wheel does have room for adjustment and can be adjusted. I just hoping someone could shed some light on the issue.

Thank you for your response.

The seller admitted to it being "laid down".. well.. give it the benefit of the doubt and assume the frame is straight.

Front end looks similar to my bike. The fork tubes go through those triangular plates. Nothing much keeps them straight and lined up except the tubes' top bolts.. If those bolts are loosened the front wheel and entire fork assembly can then be twisted and straightened.. then the bolts tightened.. Hopefully that's all it needs.

Brett McCawley /

Thanks for your help. I will try the triangular plates and let you know.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account