Puch Maxi model?

Today I picked up a '78 Puch which, according to Myron's Mopeds Service Manual, is either a Maxi Sport or a Maxi Sport MKII.

The engine is a high-torque e50 one-speed.The paint is that terrible metallic bronze. The air cleaner looks like a round microphone. The long rear spring-shocks are adjustable.

Can someone I.D. this for me?

I have never seen either model Puch, so I wouldn't know the difference. Could someone explain the difference?

Re: Puch Maxi model?

Jason Luther /

mkii is a two speed. im pretty sure

You are correct, sir. I checked with google and that was the info, so I must have the vanilla Maxi Sport, probably with the stock e50 engine.

I just pulled the top end and found a gasket. This is the 8-fin Hi-Torque which is supposed to have no head gasket. The 9-fin Magnum has a .4mm gasket. Some twit has been working on this beast. Now it's <this> twit's turn.

Thanks for the input.

Jason Luther /

heh heh. have fun, puchs are easy to sqeeze power from.

Agismo, the engine will tell you what type it is right on the top of the case. It'll say either E-50 or ZA-50, with the ZA-50 being the two-speed.

Anything you need for help, the people here can offer... it's amazing the things people know around here.

Also, check out Fred's Guide in the Resources > Articles section, it's the essential go-to guide for when you're revamping an old 'ped.

Good luck!

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account