2003 TFR Kinetic

helping a friend work on her kinetic and can't seem to figure out what the problem is. there's a loud knocking coming from the engine and after the bike has been running for a while there is also a grinding coming from the same place. took off the covers and can't see anything falling off or catching. any ideas?

thanks!

Re: 2003 TFR Kinetic

where is the sound coming from? my tfr has a little knock while going between 25-30 mph. does her kinetic have a knock all the time or only sometimes? have you checked the spark plug to see if it needs to be replaced? sometimes, a knock can come from a plug that is not firing enough. otherwise, a subtle knock seems to be normal for the tfr. unless it is an obvious grind. what is the grind all about? keep listening for when these things occur.

2003 TFR Kinetic

Steamboat Aka J. R. Stevens /

What fuel/oil mix ratio are you using? Jim

Owner of the Kinetic, here...

The sound seems to be coming from the engine itself. It will knock (kind of like a clinking glass sound) after I've let off the throttle, and while it's idling as well. It seems to start up once the engine is warm.

The spark plug looks okay. The grinding noise doesn't start until after the engine's been run for a few minutes. It is also coming from the same place.

are your rings bad?

i usually cant here the sound of bad rings when the bikes at WOT, however if its idling and winding down you may here a slightly high pitched sound from the cylinder if your rings are worn

Steamboat Aka J. R. Stevens /

Not mixing enough oil into your fuel could cause both sounds and destroy your engine. Jim.

have you checked to make sure there isn't anything in the fan? you may have to poke around with a coat hanger or something. It'd be a plasticky noise, as opposed to a metal on metal noise.

You may be able to tell if the hot air under the engine is pulsing.

Thanks for all of your suggestions - I'll have to take another look at it tonight and see if it's any of those things.

Check the centrifugal clutch also.

If it only makes the noise under light throttle acceleration, and when letting off the throttle, there is a good chance that the problem is in your clutch.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account