1978 peugeot 103 help

i don't know much about mopeds yet, but i feel as though i need to learn to maintain my machine.

my bike maxes out between 25-30 mph and if i run it that high for too long it overheats. or at least i assume overheating because it slowly stops and then shuts down and the engine is <i>really</i> hot. what could be doing this and how can i fix it?

i appreciate any and all help you can offer me.

xoxox--->matt

Re: 1978 peugeot 103 help

Sounds to me like you are "running out of gas". Check the fuel flow from the petcock and the inlet needle in the carb. I think 25-30 is a decent top speed for a 103 U-2

1978 peugeot 103 help

Check for air leaks around where the carb mounts to the intake. To do so, spray carb cleaner on the area with your bike running at a constant RPM on the stand.

thanks! i think the carb just needs a good cleaning, something i have yet to do. i'm going to work on it tomorrow and i'll post as to the results.

I have a Peugeot 77 103 she also get's extremely hot, I thought maybe they burn hotter but after a bit of ridding I have come to realise no. I have read several post where peugeot owners will be riding for 20 min and the preformance of their bike goes down. The heat is whats doing this, feel your carb after the bike warms up you should be able to touch it and feel cool-warm but if it is extremy hot like mine was you bike is overheating. In my case it looks like a defective condenser because I know the timing is correct as I have set it many times. If you bike is running good till it heats up your carb may be getting so hot that gas is bieng vaporized in it affecting you top speed and preformance. Look into Overheating and what could caus this ie. timming. Good luck, Peugeot's are amazing technological achievments.....Love that Variator

Leon Swarmer /

make sure your oil/fuel mix is right too. please

Leon

At top speed there shoud be no engine rattle or noise if the bike is jerking or engine tone changes you have a problem some where. I just replaced the condenser on my Peaugeot she did 20 may be 25mph but overheated, after replacing the condenser whe is hitting 35mph or more and has no engine jerking or tone changes. This could be your problem? I used a spare condenser I bought for my Puch and slid it into the original condenser housing, It works great. Check your points under the flywheel cover they should not spark a small spark once and a while is normal on some bikes but sparking all the time is a no no (condenser bad).

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account