front end rebuild

Michael Schumacker /

i dont have any pictures right now so im gonna try to describe it as best as i can. i have a targa lx 2004 and i have gotten into a moped accident and the front shocks look like they are bent and the front cover and cylinder head cover are both shattered heres the question::: is there any way at all i can bend the shocks back to their normal instead of replacing them or taking them to the shop i have yet to try to take it apart a quick response would be good with some links to sites

Re: front end rebuild

a short Google search will tell you that straightening a front end is pretty difficult and expensive. They are referring to motorcycles and at those speeds steering and suspension is a life-or-death thing so the job has to be done perfectly right.

You might be able to straighten a tube .. depends on how bad it is and how skillful you are and how many tools you have.. but it sounds like that wheel was pushed back to the head and the tubes might not be salvagable no matter who tries it.

Drop by a friendly local motorcycle shop.. try to get a free estimate and a list of parts that must be replaced. The guy might see things you'd miss (like a tweaked frame steering tube) or he might say he can straighten it.

meanwhile start huntiing for a source for replacement parts..

About the fork tubes - it depends on the nature of the bend.

If it's a sharp crease-like bend, the tubes are shot - even if you got them straight, the metal fatigue would be a very bad thing.

If it's more of a gentle sloping bend, that can usually be corrected in a press. The tubes should be made from chromoly, which is very tough yet ductile material.

You'll need to strip the forks down completely, so you've just got a pair of plain tubes to work with on the press.

I Have a front end off of a 1444 I could sell you.

sorry, 1994

Michael Schumacker /

well i have forks from my other 1999 targa that doesnt run and no the orks cant be bent back also i have paid for this repair from the shop before and it cost 1000 dollars just for the front end now i just need the instructions or a picture about how it comes apart and goes together

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account