Water in engine

I just got a new motobecane in today, and there's water in the engine! I need to act on this pretty quickly before it starts rusting.

Should I bother cracking the engine in half to dry it out? I've already blown compressed air in there to try to dry it out - but there's still some in there. I have it standing up on the 4 cylinder posts so water can drip out.

I want you guys opinion so I don't have to deal with a rusted crank.

Thanks!

P.S. Is it safe to soak a cylinder in Chemtool?

Re: Water in engine

Michael Schumacker /

it isnt safe to soak the cylinder in anything and yea crack open the engine and drain it and dry it afterwards lube it up put the gasket back in it and test it out only if you know what your doing and how do you get water in a new moped?

Wow! -

You can't soak the cylinder in anything?

Even oil or kerosene?

If it's just water, I'd flush out the engine with some denatured alcohol, oil it up, and then get it running asap. It shoud be fine.

You can pour the alcohol in the inlet with the piston at TDC but how do you get it out again? Turn the bike over? The alcohol will absorb the water.

i broke free a jet ski motor with a gallon of marvels mystery. just pour it in and wait a week. damn thing is still running...

Silverfox,

To get the alcohol out, you pull the plug, hold the throttle wide open, and pedal like you're tryint to start it. The alcohol will be ejected from the plug hole.

Works for motors where the bottom end has filled up with fuel, too.. as in a stuck carb float.

Jason Luther /

if its a cady, ill buy the engine :)

Personly I would just let it drain out pretty good and drive it then if it started making weird noises when i was driving i would start to worry about it

It's a 50v. I'm looking for a Cady engine myself =/

Jason Luther /

do you know if any other motobecane engine would fit the cady frame?

There's a post in the forums by me about asking if it's possible to rig a 50 engine to a Cady. They highly suggested I didn't try it, and you would loose the variator unless you did some major rigging.

Jason Luther /

i actually got the crank welded this morning. so we'll see what happens. i have been looking over the engine, and before i tore it apart i was getting 120psi and i noticed that like some puchs, the head gasket it actauly 4 super thin gaskets smashed together. on my puch i took all but one off and raised my compression quite a bit, you might want to try that on your cady. i also noticed the intake port (what a wierd set-up, both intake and exhasut right next to each other) is tiny. i would imagine widening it up a little, at least to match the intake manifold i.d. (another wierd feature) would make a nice increase. these things really are pices of crap, and if it werent for the fact that my frame and all of the chrome is in excellent shape, it through it off of a bridge.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account