fuel gauge

I've got a problem with a fuel gauge on a .. err.. moped.

Anyway, the tanks are .. i mean the tank is full of .. err.. gasoline and the fuel lines are open and clear. Everything is as clean as can be but the freakin fuel gauge is giving nothing but false readings.

Electrical is ok. The entire system has been checked and rechecked about 1,000 times.. i'm not exagerating.

I know that only a few mopeds have fuel gauges but maybe someone can help. Any ideas, no matter how far fetched are appreciated. This vehicle has to be in running condition asap and time is running out fast.. We're getting desperate here.

Re: fuel gauge

Lol!

I cracked up when I heard that the gas gauge was busted.. god, that thing is such a jalopy.

Don Pflueger /

if only MOPEDS had a fuel gauge........

Steamboat Aka J. R. Stevens /

Like most fuel gauge problems, the solution can usually be found by either jiggling the sender, or tapping really hard on the gauge itself.

Short of that, take a good look in the tank, and use something like a match to illuminate the tank. That way, you can drop the lit match in the tank, so you can get light at a good angle.

Joe Woods /
joew OP

Thanks for the suggestions. But if I tap really hard on anything some .. umm.. pieces tend to fall off the vehicle, so that's out.

The tank is large and it'll take a while to drain it to inspect the gauge... but i'll follow your advice. You really think a single match is enough to light it up? Ok.. we'll give it a try.

i have a sugggetion the thing i use on all my ped is.....a clean....stick works great never a false reading

Michael Schumacker /

hahahaha maybe you should light up the whole pack of matches just to be sure you can see clearly and my moped im glad i dont have a fuel gauge i have the next best thing reserves lol

Don Pflueger /

not sure how that explains mopeds having a fuel guage.

Fuel gauges have windings of several wires. If any break, the gauge goes haywire. It's all about OHMS resistance.

ORa bad ground wire from the gauge can wreak havoc,too. Check all grounds. don-ohio (:^)

Joe Woods /
joew OP

that did it.. it WAS a bad ground .. thanks a lot, don-ohio! The check's in the mail!

Now we should be able to get this thing going by Tuesday. woohoo!!!

Steamboat Aka J. R. Stevens /

Hey Donp, It was a joke. You can make your own with a tee and some clear tubing. Jim.

Don Pflueger /

yea i know that. i discussed it with fred and even gave him the idea to put a weed trimmer fuel filter on the end of the hose to prevent splashing out yet it can still breathe.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account