How to use a Voltage Meter/Timing

I have a great Voltage meter that I bought a year ago to test various moped circuts. Till now I have never needed to learn to use it for timing, my Puch's and Jawa do not need this tool. I have aquired a Peugeot 103 1977 and as Peugeot owners know the flywheel is not keyed, I have made a TDC tool using a spark plug and have the piston at 1.5 BTDC. The Breaker is not set to any specific gap but must open at the point the notches meet. So how do you use a Voltage Meter to know when points are opening? I have tried and have a points setting on my meter but get randome fluctuating numbers which mean nothing to me. "Any Experience Appreciated"

Re: How to use a Voltage Meter/Timing

Jason Luther /

hold one end of the meter on the points (not the actual points, but the little arm thingy) and hold the other end to the engine casing (ground). with the meter set to the lowest setting for ohms rotate the engine until you can see the points open, then back it off so they close, then watch the needle for the slightest jump as you turn the engine and the points open.the meter is actually measuring the change in resistance from the closed point (electricity running straight through them) to open points (electricity having to go 'around' them, thus having to go a longer distance)

if you disconnect the leads going to the points, then you will get very clear open and closed circuit readings one probe on points, on on ground.

Thanks I have a better idea of how this is done I will keep working on it, I know it can be done I just did not get the variating numbers. As I understand it this peak in numbers as in .40 is my indication that points have opened. Hope I am right I will give it a try again with this in mind. "The help is Appreciated".

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account