touch-up painting 101

I have a handful of paint knicks on my baby blue puch that are starting to turn into rust. How should I go about sanding down and sealing the exposed metal? I don't mind if its not painted, just as long as it stops the rust from spreading. Thanks.

Re: touch-up painting 101

sand it and prime it then paint and a sealer

Brian Mikami /

I have an auto touch up biz. The Eastwood company sell a 'rust remover' pen. It's designed to remove spot rust...it's fiberglass strands that break off as it scrubs the rust out...done right, you wont mess up the surrounding paint. Go to most auto parts stores and they have small bottles of Duplicolor touch up paint. Just paint a dab over your chips and let dry...they have small bottles of primer and clear if you want to use that too...but touch up paint will prevent rust IF cleaned up right. Use thinner after scrubbing the rust out. Good luck.

Additionally, if you want to get really fancy, you can wet sand the area after the paint is dry (like at least a week) with about 400 grit paper. Keep in mind that you are just leveling the high spot from the paint you put on. After that, use a polishing compound to make it shine.

The rust remover "pens" are also available at radio shack as a circuit board cleaner.

Brian Mikami /

Thanks for the RS tip Mike...I need a new pen. 400 IMO is a bit too coarse for leveling off 'fresh' paint. A week dry time is good, but I'd start with 1000 WET, then go up to 1500 and 2000...then a hand compound will cut it easy. I use a 3000 rpm body shop buffer and even with a wool pad, I would'nt be able to cut 400 grit scratches out. I 'used' to think 400 was fine grit, not anymore, the only time I use it now is for smoothning high solids primers. Good luck.

how about spot putty? if its a factory paint job it's gonna take a lot of touchup paint to fill that chip.

i agree about working all the way up to the #1500+ wet paper.. i did a spray-can paint job on the hole roof of a car and it's possible to get a factory smooth finish if you have the time and willpower.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account