Re: Vacuum Leak

William /
This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.

See, it all happened about two weeks ago. I drove it to work and it ran PERFECTLY, then, I got off work and it wouldn't start. I took it home and did a bunch of diagnostic stuff to it. I went through fred's guide, filed the points, etc. when it still wouldn't start, we took the carb apart and cleaned it and stuck it back on. When it still didn't start, I went back to ignition and eventually figured out the condensor was failed, so I replaced it, and got good spark; but it still wouldn't start. See, the original problem was a failed condensor, and I think I created this carb problem, whatever it is.

Since I replaced the condensor, I've taken the carb apart a good ten times and checked it out. There's nothing in there that's obviously wrong. I'm still using the original reed valve gasket, though I coated it with silicone. I made a new intake manifold gasket out of rubber fiber gasket material, and coated that, too. When I took the carb apart the first time, there was no gasket between the intake manifold and the reed valve, there was just a thin layer of this rubbery stuff, which I imagine was some sort of sealant at one point in time. Originally I just figured this was the original gasket, but have since learned that there was supposed to be an actual gasket there, so I put one in.

I should also say that about ten minutes ago I went out again and it started after about ten kicks, and after about 5 more (see, it would go for a couple revs and then die) I got it up to full throttle. I rode it around the block a couple of times. I guess after it's been at full throttle for a little while, it'll idle for about 10-20 seconds before it dies, but it still dies. Then, after it died, it wouldn't start again, I tried to start it about 25 times, but no go, it didn't fire once, so, sometimes it runs, and sometimes it just doesn't. That's about all I can say about it right now.

This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account