Freeing piston rings

I got the piston out of my moby today to replace the rings, and they are stuck _solid_!

I've tried everything I can think of with no help. I hear you can try boiling the piston, spraying it with WD40, and blowing the cracks with an air compressor gets them loose. Is that safe to do with the piston? How about soaking it in carb cleaner?

Maybe stupid questions - just don't want to mess up this piston.

Thanks!

Beamer

Freeing piston rings

PB Blaster is a superior product to WD-40 as far as removing rusted and stuck parts.

Re: Freeing piston rings

Steamboat Aka J. R. Stevens /

Put penetrating oil on the rings several times a day for 3 days. There is a small gap separating the ends of each ring(ring gap). Place a flat tip screw driver in the ring gap and twist. The ring should spread, if not go back to first step. Jim.

I got frustrated with not being able to get it off, so I just stuck it in as is. Today I took the cylinder back off to check something and they were loose as a goose.

Sweet.

Beamer

Jason Luther /

sea foam, that what im talking about! soaked a cady (as if it matters) piston over night and it dissolved everything. tkae it ack apart and free those rings. think about it, they arent doing shit frozen as they are.

Jason Luther /

oops, i just read the last sentence of your post. but just think where all of that carbon ended up

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account