'80 Puch Sport MK II 2 spd overhaul

jojito /
This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.

Hi everyone,

I have a 1980 Puch moped, 2 speed, (photos to follow) and I bought it from a kid my town for 40 dollars four summers ago. At the time it ran, but was kinda falling apart. At the end of summer I but it into storage and didn't touch it for another few years. When I tried to get it running again, it could not get it to turn. And not it has been in outside storage for another year.

I have read Fred's guide to fixing your moped, and I plan on following every step of that his weekend (and beyond). I guess the real question is: If it ran before (and the 2-spd tranny worked as well), is there really only a short list of things that should make it run again? It sounds as if it is the carb - the outside storage must have it gunked big time.

I am going to start with the sparkplug and move on to the carb. Clean the points and so on. I need parts: throttle, cables, and I need to triple check for safety. It does not have pedals and needs to be kickstarted. So if anyone could... where do you get parts online? NOS or OEM even?

Anyhow, if anyone has any advice to getting this thing on the road, that would be kick-ass. Just to get it running again would be cool. I took a long look at it last night and it seems to be in OK shape. I spent years working on an old 1.2L VW Beetle and have the hankerin' for some wrenchin.

Thanks in advance, Jojito

This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account