How do I adjust my tomos chain?

Hey everyone

I'm getting my tomos targa ready for sale, and I realized that the chain is a little loose, and it kinda bounces when you drive, so I want to adjust the tension.

How do I do this?

(Detailed instructions if you could, i'm kind of mechanically challenged.)

Any help is appreciated.

2004 Tomos Targa

Re: How do I adjust my tomos chain?

Don Pflueger /

loosen the two 17mm axle nuts, turn the cams evenly on each side where the axle nuts are located, adjust so that there is about 1/2" travel up and down in the chain, tighten the axle nuts.

i dont think you put that on good terms for a mechanically challenged person....even though i think you ment to....;)But anyways, look where the wheels are and there should be what looks like a half circle with little holes in it. Unloosen your bolts a little bit ( righty tighty , lefty loosey) and take a hammer and tap them until they are as tight as you want it, Then tighten back up your bolts. There, much clearer :)

Mike

One addition to Mike's post: Use two wrenches. The long bolt is like an axle and continues through both nuts. Hold one steady while loosening/tightening the other or you'll find that you are spinning the whole rig at the hub.

What I found, is that it can be very difficult to keep the wheel aligned while tightening the axel nuts. Turning the nuts tends to also turn the snail adjusters, throwing wheel alignment and even chain adjustment off. When I get the chain where I want it, and the wheel straight, I use 2 pair of small vise-grips to clamp the snail adjusters to the swing arm. Then I can tighten the nuts without disturbing the wheel alignment or chain adjustment.

John Joedicke /

Good hint Jerry for the noobs.

can any one provide a pic of the rear wheel with the snail ajusters in place? i took my wheel apart and am not sure if i replaced them correctly

thank you

Snails go on before the washer and nut. The snails are the same shape on both sides so when they are installed one will look upside down but the little "tabs" should point outward. If you look at the snail , you'll notice they ride against the front of the swingarm trim .

If my chain bounces up and down like a wave when I rev it full throttle (when its lifted on the kickstand) is it too loose? I would think so but my friend seems to think and remark its fine and it should have that much play. Is there a specific height of play there should be? Also I get quite a violent vibration while riding at full speed. Dont know if its the possible loose chain, a bad clutch drum, or simply because its a 2012 ST thats US restricted through the sprocket and exhaust. Any help would be great.

It will really be violent when it snaps and wraps around you leg! If your rear wheel is not perfectly in line with the frame it is conceivable that as the wheel rotates the chain tension will vary. Changing chain tension is just plain bad.

Its not a wiggle, its a vibration in harmony with the engine rpm. Its totally fine up until 22-25mph, after that its like a driveable jackhammer.

If the chain is moving up and down then please reread my post

Check for uneven stretch, tight and loose in different spots, it might sound like a train running as speed goes up. Sounds like an uneven roar.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account