Fa50 carb leaks **HELP**

well its a carb off of an 82 Suzuki fa50. Im getting very fusterated with it becasue im 15 and dont have the knowledge to fix it without any instructions. Well it leakes in three places. Int he picture above ive put arrows in where its leaking the three palces where its leaking is at the bottom of the carb the brass fitting (think its a drain not sure) It leaks from the airintake on the carb it leaks from the big hole and on the side of the carb a fitting said also to be a drain but not sure.i did take it apart and the float id destroyed dented and hase a few holes. it leaks after i turn the bike off and the drain on the botton of the carb the one witha one next to the arrow it leaks constantly even when the bike is running. If anyone could give me some information on this i would apreciate it.

1121310315_carb.jpg

Re: Fa50 carb leaks **HELP**

well its a carb off of an 82 Suzuki fa50. Im getting very fusterated with it becasue im 15 and dont have the knowledge to fix it without any instructions. Well it leakes in three places. Int he picture above ive put arrows in where its leaking the three palces where its leaking is at the bottom of the carb the brass fitting (think its a drain not sure) It leaks from the airintake on the carb it leaks from the big hole and on the side of the carb a fitting said also to be a drain but not sure.i did take it apart and the float id destroyed dented and hase a few holes. it leaks after i turn the bike off and the drain on the botton of the carb the one witha one next to the arrow it leaks constantly even when the bike is running. If anyone could give me some information on this i would apreciate it.

1121311595_carb.jpg

_and the float id destroyed dented and hase a few holes_

if the float is metal and has holes it probably doesn't float right.. so the carb's float bowl overflows because the float cannot float upin the bowl. This could cause the carb to leak in at least 2 of the three places you pointed to..

It works just like a toilet.. the float goes up and shuts off the water. If the float is an empty metal tin-can thing it might be repaired.. is it?

well it is a brass float its thow sealed drums with a rod between them and the one has a few holes in it and is all dented so it fills with gass and no longer floats . could you you tell me which two places it could cause it to leak from? And iff oyu want i can put a picture up of the float

i can picture the float.. i think i've seen one. But go ahead and post a pic of the float.. i'd like to see it's damage.

The two places would be the bottom of the carb and the hole in the air horn.. I'm not sure what the third leak point is but all three could be due to float bowl overflow.

If the float is brass it might be easily repaired with a bit of solder and a soldering iron. Brass is easy to solder gas-tight.

Of course working with heat and gasoline together might get you on tomorrow's Front Page as a 3 alarm fire destroys your mom's house..

The slightest bit of gasoline vapor left in the float could cause it to blow..

So unless you have someone who knows what's up and can help or will watch over your shoulder, forget about repairing it and find some new carb parts.

This is not the kinda repair a whole lot of people would even attempt. Even after the float is sealed it may not work if it's dented.. it's got to move freely too.

sorry thats the best pic i could take due to the shaddow thats my float

1121318111_carb_float.jpg

man.. my eyes hurt .. too close to focus?

that float looks like it's smashed up good..

Since i'm stuck on a deserted island and can't buy new parts but have tools and have lots and lots of time...

I can see soldering up the holes.. then using something to inflate it again after it's empty and sealed .. hmm.. Maybe put some water inside it and heat it and let the steam do the inflating.. or use compressed air .. or water pressure.. probably be a lot easier to fabricate a new float from sheets of brass.

I really dunno what to say at this point.. i recommend you start searching for carb parts while other people have a chance to view this thread.

Do you think by fixing the float it can stop my leaks?

i think that if the float doesn't float, it cannot shut off the fuel flow into the bowl..

Unless the carb has additional problems, like a bad flaot needle fixing the float will stop the fuel from overflowing.

So completely fixing the carb depends on... hmm.. How did that float get crushed so bad?

To tell ay the truth i have no idea how it got dented so bad. The idiot who gave it to me didnt know a thing about it so i think he might have taken it apart and possibly crushed them with his fingers but i dont know why or how for sure they got crushed.

so nobody could even guess what else is may be wrong with it.

before spending money on parts have someone .. like a professional.. look at the carb. Maybe you can get a "free estimate" for fixing the carb at a motorcycle shop..

and the guy will say you'd save lots of money and grief if you just get a new / used carb.

check the fuel pump

I just had the exact same problem, but I found out the overflowing bowl is cause by a bad diaphragm or that little o-ring in the vac. operated pump. It's getting stuck open so fuel is flowing even when the pump is shut off. The next time you have that problem try disconnecting the fuel line from the carb with the motor off. If any fuel is leaking out, the pump is the problem. Or at least part of it. Now I just gotta find where I can get one

one more thing....

Ok just to let you know the 3 settings on the fuel pump housing are on, thats pointing up, prime, thats pointing to the side, and reserve. Thats down. The reason it was leaking while running is because you had it on prime so fuel was just pouring into the carb and overflowing. Only use that prime setting when the carb is empty.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account