Brake line stuck

so i've got my 1979 honda express up and running, and have one last problem. the front brake line is stuck. the cable will only barely budge through the covering when i pull on it with a vise and some pliars. i've put lots of oil in it, and still it won't move. is there some trick to it, or should i just try to find a new one?

thanks!

Re: Brake line stuck

Brian Mikami /

Sounds like it's binding badly. Could be rusted, kinked or a strand is caught on the inner cable cover. If you can pull it out to inspect, that would tell ya. Use white grease to coat the cable wire and reinstall, oil is too thin for cables to slide. If it's stuck, get a new cable, you'll need that front brake to work smoothly. Good luck.

actually, my dad and i worked on it again. oiled it up and used a ratchet drill bit attachment to spin the cable inside of its cover until it loosened up. works like a charm now! we're pretty sure it was caught up on some rust deposits...

thanks.

yeah.. well picture this ..

Somewhere way down in the cable's sheath the old twisted, rusted wires have mostly broken.. there are only 2 or 3 of the thin strands still intact.

You're flying down a steep hill.. a big old truck slowly pulls out of a driveway about 100 feet in front of you..

And then you wake up! It was just a bad dream. The brake cable is fine. :)

Brian Mikami /

Holy crap! I just shat! LOL, good one joew, yeah, you may have spun it free, but you'll need to pull it out and inspect it, but being that it siezed that tight with rust, just get a new one...or you may just hit that truck.

Steamboat Aka J. R. Stevens /

Someone posted here that Walmart sells a package of about 5 bicycle cables for $4.95. Jim.

forgive me for having no idea how you take the cable out of its cover without breaking it...

had i known you could do that i'd have removed it long ago.

i wasn't implying you could remove the cable without breaking it .. just that a bike's brakes are important. A cable's strength should be an known quantity.. I would guess your cable is ok since you got it moving so quickly and easily.

But since you mention it the metal barrel on a cable's end might be removed and replaced.. (a very recent thread here went into that). The cable could then be pulled and inspected. And if the cable needs to be slightly shortened to do this, the sheath could be cut shorter to make up the difference.

donp did, and i swear by them now. $4.95 for like 3-5 cables is a kiling when all you have to do is shorten the cable to length. awesome buy!

but are bicycle cables strong enough to use on a moped, since they're usually a lot thinner?...

it would be nice to find big fat motorcycle brake cables that fit my brake levers and brake fittings.. Personally i wouldn't use a bicycle's brake cables.. I do know the thin aircraft cable they use is probably strong enough hang you and the bike in mid-air...

I'm not some kooky safety freak.. just like to be able not worry about things like stopping quickly. If there were a choice between $5 bicycle or $20 moped cables i'd spend the money on moped cables.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account