going to punch Tomos A3 - help!

allright guys i need your help

i have a 77 tomos a3gm that I had running a few weeks ago - minus one piston ring, a real air filter (i used a sponge), the boot to the airbox, and a shoddy spark plug hook up.

I replaced these parts - got new ones. And I also fixed the plug boot (i got a strong spark).

With these things on and installed right, i (eventually) get it started after a few pedals. I go to kick the guy off the stand, it immediately dies. It does this 4 or 5 times. Won't start when i pedal on it, but will on stand - then dies when I take it off the stand.

So I play with the carb, check all fuel lines, disconnect the air boot from the box. nada. now it won't fire. check the spark and there is nothing.

i am going to punch this ped in the face.

so what is the best route to go from here? i removed the spark plug boot that I put on (good work, i thought) and there isn't even any spark to the wire (finger checked).

I blew out the points with air and carb cleaner. but everything is real clean under there. everything i read says it's rare the magneto itself goes out... and while i crank the pedals to try and start it - i get lights and horn. help!

also - when I was getting spark (on stand) it didn't catch until i disconnected the boot from the airbox. how best to clean the airbox? is it really just supposed to be a hose tucked up into the body under the seat post connected toa plastic box behind the carb?? how the hell does it get air? doesn't seem like there is a whole lot of flow to the underside of the seat...

but what do i know....

thanks for your help.

justin

Re: going to punch Tomos A3 - help!

See Ya Moped Army /

You should never spray carb cleaner inside the magneto. Only use contact cleaner.

bloodyspokes_js /

sorry - put it wrong. just cleaned out the points with the carb cleaner... not the magneto. just did the fred's guide approach.

should i have used contact cleaner there as well??

thanks

js

_and while i crank the pedals to try and start it – i get lights and horn. help_

sounds like maybe the wiring is a bit screwed up?

bloodyspokes_js /

the horn and lights only come on if the light switch is on, and i had my friend try the horn while i pedal. i figured this would be a way to test and see if it was the whole electrical system, or if maybe it was just the sparkwire. to me, this tells me that there is a charge, and it is just the spark wire.

is this true?

sorry my writing is so confusing. i never think about this when i type it.

what steps would i need to take to test or fix the spark plug wire? i dont think i can take the housing off the magneto - is this a case where i would need to just get a new one?

(oh please say no....)

thanks for all your help guys.

-justin

You can probably use a little carb cleaner on the point contacts, as long as it does not leave any kind of residue behind. Also, carb cleaner is agressive stuff, and it might attack the varnish / plastic used on the coils. For these reasons, it's best to use electric motor cleaner / brake cleaner in there.

Don Pflueger /

never spray carb cleaner in the magneto. you probably destroyed a $40 charging coil by doing that. i would check your tail light and brake light bulbs if you have no spark. then clean your points with a small nail file, blow them out with an air compressor, and set the gap at .014"-.018".

Don Pflueger /

yes you should have. the carb cleaner had to drip somewhere. and just below the points is a charging coil.

Don Pflueger /

the ignition system is separate from the lighting system. there are threewires coming from your magneto. black, yellow, and blue.

yellow= power for lights and horn

blue= power for ignition system

black= ground for ignition system.

the test you did proved nothing more that your lights work. coils rarely ever go bad unless some outside force caused damage to them. such as carb cleaner.

can you get it to idle on the stand??

are you getting it plenty warm before you take off or are you just starting and going?

Mike

Smitty Smith /

Another thing to check, on that old of a model, is the resistor in the tail light assembly. If it was firing, and now just all of the sudden, you can't get it to spark, unplug the tail light assembly (after checking the bulbs, as suggested in this thread), and check for a broken lead to the resistor. Also check to see if the plastic around the area that the resistor sits has melted...if so, the resistor has gotten too hot, and is probably no good. As far as I know, you have to replace the whole plug-in section of the tail light assembly, as I don't think that the resitor by itself is available anymore.

Hope you get it back running soon!

;^)

Smitty

bloodyspokes_js /

victory! kind of.

after realizing that i may have f'd the ped up, i went out to check. found that my taillight wire had come out, so fixed that and tried again.

great spark... wasn't expecting it, so got a little zap but it felt great. kind of.

so now i have that issue cleared up, but the damn thing still won't start!! not at all now!

i have spark,gas (good flow to carb),exhaust is ok (took it off and still didn't go), air/fuel ok (tried without boot hooked to air box,with, without boot just filter,without filter), good plug, fine compression, switch works, lights on....

i'm going to go back and check everything, but i am at a loss. so i started calling it dirty names, but felt bad and took them back.

it started right up before, with all the parts gone. now for some reason with all the parts it doesn't work???

thanks so much for all your guy's help...

justin

Don Pflueger /

i had a feeling that was gonna be the problem. i mentioned to check your brake light in another post i made on this thread. congrats.

_started calling it dirty names, but felt bad and took them back_

typical love-hate relationship.. moped's'll do that.

do ya have the timing set right? good compression?

_i have spark, gas (good flow to carb)_

good flow to the carb doesn't mean good flow into the engine.. try a squirt of Starter Fluid .. if it runs the carb is probably clogged up.

Don Pflueger /

yep, spray carb cleaner into the carb throat. try to start it. if it fires, you have a fuel problem. if it does nothing, you have either an electrical or compression problem. since you know you have spark already, that leaves you with compression, unless your spark plug is a used one. compression needs to be 120 lbs or higher.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account