Motobecane clutch puller question/problem

I've got a 1980 motobecane, I got a clutch puller from the MopedJunkYard, I cannot seem to thread the puller onto the variator. Shouldnt it just thread right on ? Anything I'm missing thanks

brandon

oh yeah the problem im experiencing, is the clutch isnt engaging.

Re: Motobecane clutch puller question/problem

Jason Luther /

is it a reversed thread?

i bought one and accidentaly got the ignition puller!! make sure you got the right one.

Jason Luther /

good point the ignition cam shaft puller and the magneto puller have different threads

Jason Luther /

i guess it should be said i got my whole engine apart without either.

wow how did you do that???

Jason Luther /

well, i have a cady (thats my first mistake). the clutch i got off by prying evenly on either side of the clutch drum with screwdrivers. (i got the nuts loose by a trick donp enlightened us with bytaking the sparkplug out and stuffing the combustion chamber with rope, effectively stopping the piston, and allowing the nut to be loosened) i removed the timing cam by grasping the underside of it with channel locks, and then using a common 3 jawed gear puller to pull up on the channel locks to pop the cam off. it wasnt real pretty, and i dont nessesarely endorse this method if you have access to the correct tools.

Brandon Henry /

So which ones is this.... ignition or clutch puller... or should i just go with the screwdriver idea LOL

1121047007_dsc00017.jpg

Jason Luther /

that looks like a clutch puller or a magneto puller, definatly not a timing cam puller

that's the clutch puller themopedjunkyatd.com sent me too. it wont screw in until you back out the bolt that goes through it, but maybe it's not the puller for all engines.

I need to get a flywheel puller, possibly from the moped junkyard. How much did yours cost?

Chris at mopedwarehouse.com sells a combination flywheel / cam puller for Motobecane - about $24+ship.

I'm not so hot on the screwdriver / hammer / gear puller stuff... but it's your equipment, not mine.

Mike Scouty McScoutington /

one of the sides on that puller does the timing cam and the other should do the clutch. if you have any questions with the clutch stuff feel free to email me. me and a buddy jsut got done completely redoing a destroyed clutch. between the two of us we may be able to help you troubleshoot the problem if you need it.

Brandon Henry /

Shouldnt the puller's threads be continous like normal threads....this puller the threads are each individualy created, not continous like a screw....this could be my problem.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account