hit bumps, now ciao dies when given throttle

i post again.

here i am in Chicago during the peddy cash hosted events and i can't even join them on all their fun rides. shoot!

coming home last night i was riding along and hit a bunch of bumps in the road going about 20mph or so, which shot me up in air and the bike took it pretty hard i think. no crash though.

afterwards, when i gave the bike any gas it didn't want to go, so i started pedaling pretty fast and giving it gas. It's a good thing i was only 2 blocks from home. afterwards i couldn't get it to start without putting the choke switch down. with the ciao, as you might now, when you go to start the bike and give it gas after pedaling, the choke switch goes back to the off position. to keep it running at all i had to hold the switch down and give it gas.

i tried taping it down just to ride it down the block, but once i popped it off the stand and tried to accelerate, it died again.

i took the air filter and carb off today and cleaned the carb a bit, put everything on and still the same?

what do you think and/or suggest? this has to do with the fuel to air mixture correct?

thanks

Re: hit bumps, now ciao dies when given throttle

Although fuel mix is certainly way off, i would search for it's root cause. Since the severe bump is the primary cause, that would be mechanical damage of some sort..

perhaps a cable or cable mount or adjustment got tweaked,

or some sort of internal carb damage. Perhaps the float slammed against the bowl and it's hinge-tab got bent out of shape and the float level is now way off.

maybe the timing went bad...

g.b.

yeah.. could be anything..

maybe the intake manifold cracked or broke right off the engine.. maybe the airbox got disconnected..

i got a feeling that a close inspection will find whatever came loose.

so, ten minutes after i posted this i heard some buzzing come from outside, so i ran to the fire escape, and there goes the gang of mopeders down my street. ha!

i checked out the carb and the throttle cable, and everything seems to look and function normal. when you pull the grip back, it engages the cable. in the carb, the float bowl is freely moving and i shot some carb cleaner in all the holes and what not.

since i had it running this afternoon, just not well, does that rule out anything?

i've taken off and reinstalled the airbox (to get to the carb) a few times now, so i know that's not the problem.

what do i look at to see if the intake manifold cracked or broke off the engine? where is that?

what else do you suggest that i take a close look at?

thanks-p

Spray some Starter Fluid around the intake manifold area, around the cylinder's base, etc .. If the RPM changes it would indicate a leak as the Start Fluid (ether) is getting sucked in.

_Something happened_ when you hit them bumps.. gotta track it down.

before i left for work this morning i noticed underneath the rear tire was some brownish/blackish spatter. i tried starting it last night one last time again and left it there over night. so something is leaking. it's not gas related. i stuck my stinger in it and didn't smell.

what is in the rear half of a moped that contains oil like fluids? i don't know if this is contributing to my running problem, or if it is a separate new problem.

Bruce Wilkinson /

There is gear oil in the rear hub that may leak.

it could have possibly just be a leak of sludge from your muffler. You might wanna check your whole exhaust out on the bike, just in case. I think your problem might be due to an small air leak to the engine or carb.

check your compression and check any seals

So, it's definitely flooding. the liquid that was spewed behind the bike was actually gas that made its way out the exhaust. It just looked brownish like oil from mixing with the crap from the exhaust.

I'm going to take out the carb again and spend some time analyzing it's inner-workings. something has to be clogged from the jarring of the bumps or the float is malfunctioning and staying up all the time or something.

i'm going to get a new spark plug as well since the old one is probably fouled.

hopefully within the next few days i can get it running!

if you need someone to take a look at it, just send me a direct email. I'm in chicago and could give you a better opinion of the problem.

its your float ---no dou"t...

may have a hole in it and allowing to much fuel in.

or the needle vavle may be damaged..

two reasons why its leaking fuel -out the carb...

i'll check into the float.

but it's important to note that it is coming out the exhaust not the carb...

i'll have time to work on it in a few days...

thanks for your help!

Bruce Wilkinson /

Sometimes the float looks okay but take a look at the notch that the needle fits into. Is there a worn slot that may catch the needle and prevent it from seating straight. bruce

pd reporting back:

I cleaned the carb and made sure all the jets, needles, floats, and everything else were functioning clean and clear, and i also got a new spark plug. the old plug was pretty weathered, and it was a good thing i changed it. That was probably contributing to my problems.

keep riding!

thanks for the help

Mine did this too! It boggled be forever.

When I hit a bump, all the crap in my take would cover the petcock intake. Just clean out your tank and replace the petcock - the brass tube probably broke off.

Thats a good one.. i've seen petcocks with the tube broken off and i know that tanks collect lots of crap on the bottom.. makes perfect sense.

This is the kinda thing thing that belongs in Fred's Guide .. or maybe in the Guide of Practical Experience (if there was one)

A couple months ago someone proposed that such a Guide be put together for each popular model of bike but .. well.. talk is cheap and it never went anywhere.

Don Pflueger /

pretty much, a good guide would just tell you to start at the top, the gas cap vent, and work your way down thru the fuel system, engine, and exhaust to diagnose an engine problem. no need for specific models unless your talking torque and other specs. good idea tho. somewhere i have a 2 stroke flow chart that describes how to work down thru an engine to determine what is wrong. there is one on the net somewhere too.

Ben Van Zoest /

Apparently although u didn't mention, just before the bump everything was fine. Believe it or not I had this problem once

the float stuck in the up position. Never done it again since...

it could have been something with the petcock, maybe it is broken. i'm not sure how to take mine apart, but it does its job now; sending fuel to the carb while on, and not when it's off.

I originally had rust in my tank but i did the por 15 treatment a month ago or so, and put an inline fuel filter in, so who knows.

lesson learned: slow down while going over bumps, especially on the ciao which has little suspension anyways.

pd

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account