gasket materials

my moped's gasket between the exhaust and the engine is crippled. i went to the store and bought some gasket sheets from which i can cut the right shaped gasket. there were 3 sheets of different materials. i need to know which one will be able to handle the high temperature without burning up and falling apart. the materials are: cork-rubber, rubber-cellulose, and rubber-fiber. so which one will withstand the heat the best??

dave

Re: gasket materials

Jason Luther /

i had trouble finding high temp gasket material too. so i used the rubber fiber, so far so good. the worst that could happen is itll burn out, but its on the exhaust, so all it will do is get louder. i held a lighter to the old torn gasket and it burned just as readily as the rubber-fiber stuff.

i found exhaust material at a good speed-parts oriented auto parts store.. not one of the large franchises or chain stores.

This material came in a 12" wide x 24" roll, is a light grey/whiteish color, 0.03" thick and very stiff, almost brittle .. i think it's a ceramic fiber paper.

When it burns in a propane torch flame it smokes at first and you can smell the rubber (?) binder burning away.. But the material does not burn to ash .. the paper just glows red hot, turns black when it's cool and retains much of it's strength.

thank you for your input. i'll try the rubber-fiber first and if it doesn't work i will look for ceramic fiber paper.

dave

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account