honda aero 50, rattling

hi, new here, i tried to list my honda aero 50 but it wasnt an option.

here's my question, when the moped is started, it rattles, sounds like metal clanging inside the exhaust pipe, although i can't really pinpoint it. i tried to take off the fan to look to see if there was any debris inside the clutch area but couldn't see any. the noise gets louder as it revs.

can the muffler be taken apart?

what do rod knocks sound like, i'm pretty sure it's not a rod knock. anybody else experience this problem? scooter runs well, just rattling annoys me.

Re: honda aero 50, rattling

well, i took off the muffler/header today, and shook it around no noise. i blew compressed air through it and no noise. which leads me to believe it's coming from the engine. =/

check the flywheel area .. they make a loud clanging sound that increases in frequency and loudness with increased rpm if things aint right..

Don Pflueger /

its not an option because its a scooter, not a moped. this is a moped forum. plastic always rattles.

Is it a light tin like sound, maybe a worn small end conrod bearing? If anyone knows let me know, a friends scoot does the same thing.

Grey

Live to ride, Ride to work

yeah, the noise is very tinny.

i will try to check out the flywheel area as suggested, what should i look for?

and the rattling is definitely not coming from plastics. because i have to take them off to see the engine.

a flywheel's boss could be cracked or the crankshaft could be slightly bent, and the wheel wobbles a bit .. any wobble could cause rubbing between the stationary (stator) coils and the wheel's magnets .. clearance here is very slight.

noises can be hard to pinpoint .. sometimes it helps to use a auto- stethescope that is made for it.. or just cut a length of garden hose and stick one end in your ear and move the other end around to isolate the source.

hopefully you'll find that a nut or something came loose and some rotating part is rattling or rubbing.. if the noise is internal chances are it's serious.

thanks for the reply, the other day i took off the fan shrowd and the fan in hopes of seeing something loose, but then i got to the pieces behind the fan, i dunno if it's the flywheel or the clutch, how do i take that off? i've never seen a moped flywheel before.

its not a moped ..

go search the scooter sites and forums for an free manual or buy one online ($36).

Also try the local Honda dealer for some Haynes manual (or similar) that includes your bike.

But if you've got some measure of basic mechanical sense and some tools it shouldn't be too hard to figure out and do... most flywheels are pulled off with a 'special' puller .. some practically fall off by themselves but some are tricky.

Before pulling stuff off do a close examination of everything.

Don Pflueger /

you have to take them off to do ANYTHING on those bikes. i had an aero 80. biggest piece of junk i ever saw, mine had 800 miles on it and not a single scratch anywhere. but it was missing keys and the carb needed to be rebuilt. took 4 days to do the job because of the number of screws and plastic panels.

Don Pflueger /

that would be the flywheel. a goldish colored round thing with openings in which you can see the charging coils. if its not loose or wobbling when you grab it, chances are thats not your problem. if the attachment works, you can see the flywheel. part number 2

1120908320_e__03___alternator_small.gif
« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account