exciter coil bad?

Liberty Straney /

how can i test my exciter coil (the one that powers ignition not lights) to see if it is good? i've laready replaced the ignition coil, condenser and spark plg, checked wires, lights, the horn, grounds everything is fine. a mechanic looked at it and told me it was the coil that was bad...any ideas?

my moped is kinda hard to find parts for (65 wards riverside)...is this a part i could use from another model moped?

Re: exciter coil bad?

Don Pflueger /

coils rarely go bad. unless some outside circumstance such as being hit has happened. finding parts cant be that hard. you need to know which model magneto you have. there's only so many different brands. test the wire from that coil to ground with a meter to see if any power is being produced. if not, clean up the magnets in the flywheel, and the pickups on the coil itself. and if there is any rust on the coil where it mounts, clean that as well.

I have access to a number of older (50's - 60's) CEV electrical parts. If you can show me a good pic or two of your magneto & exciter coil, I'll let you know if I have the part.

Prices are reasonable on most items.

Jason Luther /

if you are convinced its the coil, i have an old parts bike. ill send you the coil for free. gotta keep those wards goin'. more than likely the coil is grounding out somewhere in the stator. if the wire going out to the ignition coil is touching anything, the power will go to the ground, not the spark plug. the parts one im talking about had melted wires all inside of it, so could be the case with yours. -jason

Jason,

What model is the parts bike? I'm in need of engine parts for a 50cc Benelli / Riverside "Fireball". This is a little 4-speed motorcycle, the size of a moped - there are photos of them in the MA photos section.

Liberty Straney /

thanks jason that would be great. what's your email address? i'll give you my mailing address...i'll send you a present in exchange for the coil!

i'm going to spend tomorrow rechecking everything - and i found an old post on here that said how to check the coil with a capacitor and diode or something so i'll give that a shot. i'll let you know tomorrow.

i've talked a couple friends into buying mopeds so charleston might have its own army division pretty soon....

1120831168_40629533189_0.jpg

Jason Luther /

i was looking at the pictures, and the motors look the same (except the clutches of course)i think the top-ends are the same. as far as the reduction gears inside, i dont know. i imagine the stators are the same, as well as many other componants. its a riverside moped, so it has a centrifugal clutch and everything. co$motor$ have everything, but they are a tad pricey.

doomzoom, my email is amoryblaine@wowway.com

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account