Possible helicoil

Hello all,

So, I'm pretty sure that I've stripped the threads of the nut in the cylinder block into which the exhaust bolt is screwed, and I may have to install a helicoil. Has anyone ever used one, and if so, do you have any advice? Thanks.

Re: Possible helicoil

John Joedicke /

What about tapping it out to the next metric size and using a bolt or stud to suit.

Depends on the style of the pipe attachment. If it's a large gland nut (like on a Motobecane), good luck finding / affording / using the repair kit for a thread that large.

The thread on the Motobecane is somewhere around 22mm.

Using a helicoil is pretty easy, if you can drill straight. Follow the directions with the kit and you should be fine.

It is drilling out and tapping the hole to a larger size so a diamond profile spring acts as a holder for the proper sized bolt. You can tap your hole out to the next sized bolt, but then you have to keep track of where that one odd size goes.

John Joedicke /

Do them both and the job is done forever , unless you are just a brute on putting things back together and strip it again.

patience is a virtue in this position. be careful, do it slow lots of lube (yeah baby!!!), and most of all double check everything. helicoil works great just be patient and never guess. imo

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account