pre 1978 puch throttle grip help!

so i'm trying to fix up my 1977 puch maxi sport and in the process am fitting a new throttle cable. unfortunately i can't quite figure out how the cable is supposed to mate to the throttle grip. my other puch is a 1980 model which uses the newer style throttle assembly with the little slide piece, and the service manual that i have only goes back to 1978 models, after they switched to the new style throttle.

can someone with an older puch bike or experience with this sort of thing point me in the right direction? it looks like the cable is supposed to wind around the grip somehow? but i don't see any way of holding the cable fast inside the throttle grip. i am not even sure if i have all the parts that i need for the throttle twist grip - it looks complete and not broken, but i see no way of making the cable stay attached to the twist. again, since my manual is too new, i don't have a parts list for the older type throttle.

any help would be greatly appreciated

Re: pre 1978 puch throttle grip help!

Brian Mikami /

My 77 had the Magura throttle and levers. There should be a 'slide' bar with the bolt to lock the cable as this was the 'open end' cable...not the one with the lead ball. If you can, post a pic of your throttle, maybe you're missing something.

I swapped my throttle and levers for a better set.

yeah my newer puch has the slide bar with the bolt, and that is what the manual references. its a good methodology. makes sense. the ones i'm looking at are a little older. no slide that i can see... nowhere that it would go. they are like the grips on this bike.

hope that picture works

ok never mind answered my own question.. lame old-skool throttle grip assembly requires a special cable with little balls at both ends...

Brian Mikami /

Kool...just gotta buy the one with the ball end. Good luck.

Yeah, that's the one you need. They sell them for 20 bucks at themopedjunkyard.com.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account