Is mixing 2 oils together okay????

Hello,

My FA50 needs some more 2 stroke oil (to be pumped into the gas). Unfortunately, Suzuki does not make it anymore so I needed to buy some other stuff (AMSOIL High Perfor Synt 2 stroke oil). Should I wait for the Suzuki oil (red in color) to be used completely before mixing in the AMSOIL (blue in color)? Or can I just pour the AMSOIL in the tank even if there is still some Suzuki oil left in there?

Maybe it's a dumb question, but the fact is 2 different people from Suzuki Canada gave me 2 completely different answers.

Thank you for the help.

P.S. I'd appretiate it if people that agree with advice that has already been stated by a user to let me know so that I can know this isn't just one bozo's advice.

Thanks again

Re: Is mixing 2 oils together okay????

"THESE GUYS": http://www.ultralightnews.com/enginetroublshooting/oiltr.htm say no .. i agree. Mixing unknown chemicals together can cause unknowable things to happen.

i was reading one page about changing injected oil types and they recommended running one fuel tank of pre-mix to purge the oiling system.. just incase residual oil mixed with new oil and gelled in the lines.. of course the guys who fly ultralights have a right to be paranoid about every little thing.

I'd also ask Suzuki to recommend a proper replacement and then follow their recommendation. Dig deeper if the guys behind the parts counter are less than reliable.

Here's something to take into account.

If you mix your gas OUTSIDE of the moped in a seperate can, you can use either injection oil, OR a heavier 2 stroke oil.

Injection oil would be the AMSOIL HP 2 stroke oil. Heavier mixing oil would be like STHIL chainsaw/power tool mix oil. Both of these are low-smoke oils.

HOWEVER:

DO NOT RUN CHAINSAW/POWERTOOL mix oil THROUGH AN OIL INJECTION SYSTEM. IT CAN CLOG!

If your bike has oil injection. One should either add an extra capful of mix oil to your tank and swash it around. This will brink your fuel to oil ratio up to about 40:1. Anywhere between 50:1 and 35:1 will be fine. This will ENSURE protection of your motor. Do this in the summertime especially.

If your bike doesnt have oil-injection. Run 40:1 mix all the time. The AMSOIL is a great all-season oil. However, on hot hot days, or if you're going for a long ride (80+miles) use 40:1 with Chainsaw Oil.

Hope this helps. Dont get pulled into using a "special" or "specific" oil for your bike. I've owned a Yamaha 250cc fourwheeler for 5 years and have always run Mobile 1 and Ford gear oil in the rear axle. It runs amazing. Screw Yamalube!

Lol.

Go nuts.

DannyMoped07

*Mobile 1 goes in the engine btw. Lol. (didnt want to get a comment on that later on)

DannyMoped07

@ joew: Are you saying that even if I don't usually have to pre-mix my oil and gas I should do it for the first tank in order to "dry out" the oil lines? I didn't know if this is something that should be done to my moped.

@ DannyMoped07: I do have the AMSOIL HP Injector 2 stroke oil and this is what I want to use from now on. The extra cost does not matter to me. I have never pre-mixed gas/oil before, because it doesn't need to be done for my moped (lucky for me). I know it's not complicated, but I would like to know if there are other alternatives.

@ EVERYONE: Could I just drain the oil tank and the lines that bring oil to the pump? If so, how can I do this specifically. Also, what else could I do? What are the odds of one oil screwed up when mixed with the other, could I test to see if this would happen (outside of the scooter, in a jar or something).

Thanks for the speedy help.

Re: Is mixing 2 oils together okay???? (OOPS,sry)

@ joew: Are you saying that even if I don’t usually have to pre-mix my oil and gas I should do it for the first tank in order to "dry out" the oil lines? I didn’t know if this is something that should be done to my moped.

@ DannyMoped07: I do have the AMSOIL HP Injector 2 stroke oil and this is what I want to use from now on. The extra cost does not matter to me. I have never pre-mixed gas/oil before, because it doesn’t need to be done for my moped (lucky for me). I know it’s not complicated, but I would like to know if there are other alternatives.

@ EVERYONE: Could I just drain the oil tank and the lines that bring oil to the pump? If so, how can I do this specifically. Also, what else could I do? What are the odds of one oil screwed up when mixed with the other, could I test to see if this would happen (outside of the scooter, in a jar or something).

Thanks for the speedy help.

It's not easy to get every bit of old oil out of the entire oiling system. If there's a chemical reaction between new and old oil types, the stuff could gell and the system could clog up. The engine might run without any oil being delivered.

so, they recommend a fuel tank of pre-mixed fuel:oil.. Add an ounce or so of oil to a quart of gasoline, stir it up and put it in the gas tank.

While this quart of premixed gas is burning, the oil pump and oiling system will operate (and add additional oil) and will completely purge the oil system of any old oil. This tank of premix gives you a chance to check on the oiling system and make sure it's functioning properly. If everything's ok, add a couple gallons of gasoline to the gas tank and you're done.

:

It cant hurt to mix some old and new oil types in a couple of glass jars. Add some gasoline to one jar and let everything sit .. see what happens.. Oil might separate from the gasoline or it might coagulate or it might turn to jello...

One type of oil i tried did separate from the gasoline during such a test after a day or so.. Unfortunately i didnt try this before the carb got clogged up... the test was only to confirm what happened after i found oil droplets inside the float bowl.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account