Puch Condenser and Points

Can anyone help with my 1976 Puch Maxi.

I have an electrical problem. I'm trying to weed out the bad part of the igniition system with my multimeter.

Can anyone verify that there should or shouldnt be continuity between the housing and the black wire of the condenser unit. When I test it, there is continuity, which seems strange.

I think that this is my problem.

I am not getting ANY juice from the stator.

Thanks,

Matt

Re: Puch Condenser and Points

You do have your Multimeter set to A/C voltage?The magneto produces A/C not D.C. like a battery.Jim

AHHHHHHH. I was checking DC voltage.

I'll go give it a try.

In the other link, where would you hook the lead to?.....there are 2 wires coming off the points, can I just hook a lead up to the connecting nut on the points that holds the 2 wires in place, or do I need to hook it up to a specific wire.

Thanks,

matt

What Wire is the one off the points I should be checking? There are 2, one is blue the other black (which goes to the condenser)

Matt

Positive meter wire to blue wire comming from engine. you'll see it in the terminal block with another blue wire that comes from the body harness that wire goes to the kill switch.Attach meter + wire to engine blue wire not both at once. get a small screw driver and re move wires from terminal block they go to the top terminal right side of block.I'lld actully suggest getting rid of the original terminal block, and solder ring terminals to the wires and replace the block with a modern one from radioshack.Less corrosion build up and brighter lights.Jim

actully you could attach to the nut but the problem is you have to rotate the flywheel to get a reading and that would be almost imposible with wire sticking out the flywheel spokes.BTW the big jump is the points opening.

As you turn the fly wheel you will notice small one number movements this not the jump I'm talking about with out the dial gauge inplace you don't know where TDC is and how close to point opening is, so you may have to go 360 degrees before you see anything.These small movements are not seen on the non digital "Needle" Mulimeters.Jim

Jim,

I took the wire out of the terminal block and it was all corroded. I snipped off enough to get clean metal, and spliced it directly to the coil lead, and got a nice clean blue arc on my sparkplug! I splashed a little gas into the carb and kicked it over, and it ran.

Now I need a new main jet by the looks of it, and she should be on the road.

Thanks for your help!!

Matt

yeah I think you said it had sat outside for years.Those european terminal blocks just hold water and more resistance builds up until nothing happens no spark lights Ect.if you solder those wire ends after cleaning them with alchol and add ring terminals with the screw type block I metioned you won't have corrosion problems again.Don't forget to add 2 stroke oil to the gas @50:1 ratio before running it.Jim

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account