AMF v1 oil refill?

hello in the manual of my moped it says replace with sae 20 motor oil, this is the plug right abouve my pedal

how should i properly drain this and where do i get this 20 sae motor oil? thanks alot

Re: AMF v1 oil refill?

at the bottom of the case there is another screw to drain the oil

If you do not have a Minarelli engine manual go to mopedriderss.org and download one.

no i got the manual off there and its cool, i know what type of oil to use just dont know where to get it, cuz i know a oil change would help my bike

it says 1 pint of SAE 20 oil

where can i get this autozone? motorcycle shop?

thanks alot

Just use ND sae 30w.

you can get sae 20w at just about any auto supply store. autozone should have it. i just bought a quart at murray's last week. sae 20 is less viscous and will work just fine.

The oil is not there for the clutch but to just lube the gears.

The new oils are very slippery. You should use a non-detergent oil to keep the condensed water from emulsifying the oil. Do you have a W.W. Grainger store nearby? They will carry a 20w air compressor oil that should work fine.

This might sounds nuts but I run straight sae 50 racing oil in my gear box makes 1st gear alot longer and help with the kit. I think it makes for a cooler gear box as I dont recommed anyone doing this, I have played with the v1 alot. I am in the middle of getting inter gears and racing clutches. Never thought about air compressior shop. Great Idea! thanks! mike

so can i just go buy some sae 20 or some 30 if i cant find 20 sae?

thanks alot

Most anything will work but if you use a detergent oil you might have to change the oil more often.

whats a detergent oil?

thanks im kinda new

A detergent oil has additives in it to keep any condensed/accumulated water in suspension. In a automobile engine the oil get hot enough for the condensed water to evaporate over time.

In a gearbox, the oil does not get hot enough and the condensed water will build up over time. The oil will turn to an ugly mayonaise given enough time between changes.

With non-detergent oils, the water will drop out and can be drained away by just letting a little oil out of the bottom of the gearbox.

The detergents will also eat away at the gaskets faster, or so I'm told.

I had an old V1, and someone put detergent oil in it. When my seals went bad, it looked like milk was dripping out. Yuck.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account