Tomos A3 Bogs

Hello Everyone,

I rebuilt a '86 Tomos A3 Golden Bullet it idles fine with the choke on and off. But if you try to give it gas it bogs down and will die. If you play with the choke plate as you give it gas you can get it to rev up but from idle it will die if you give it gas. Any place to start would be nice. I just cleaned and rebuilt the carb could it be the timing. I checked for air leaks also but can't find any. Or how about the plug gap the plug chop looks good. I am at a lose any help would be great.

Thanks

Jason

Re: Tomos A3 Bogs

it's got a symptom of a clogged carb or a restricted fuel supply... Closing the choke restricts air (enriching the air:fuel mixture) and allows it to run somewhat.

I wouldn't suspect ignition from the symptoms you describe. Get a new plug and gap it to something near 0.025 inch or 0.7mm.

Check for spark by grounding the plug's base to the engine's cooling fins and look for a blue spark..

Check for fuel problems by attempting to start with Starter Fluid. If it starts, fuel is not getting into the engine.

Go through the entire fuel system from gas tank cap's vent, through all filters and/or screeens, all the way to the carb, which must be immaculate.. it's float level and cable adjustments should be checked.

lol joew u are the man jason joew pretty much summed it up so no other posts are necasarry lol..........but also check the petcock!!!i have seen them clog up plenty of times

BlAiR

Try a different carb off a another moped that you know works are try that. I had the same problem with my Motomarina Raven and I simpley switched the carbs and it ran like new. I hope this helped.

Don Pflueger /

its definetly getting too much air if you can close thechoke and rev it up.

what jet do you have in the carb?

is the airbox attached?

did you add a performance exhaust?

do you have proper fuel flow?

these things can cause the lean situation that youdescribed. an air leak would be found at the intake, and cylinder base gasket. on a tomos engine, the cylinder base gasket can be mounted 4 different ways, but only one way is correct. and if you rebuilt your engine, i'm willing to bet that gasket is on wrong. if so, thats where your air leak is. its hard to see how the gasket needs to be installed, but study it and you will figure it out.

Don Pflueger /

jarret, joe missed a few things that i posted about.

Don Pflueger /

not everyone has a spare carb, and the carb on an a3 is not easy to get to. the engine needs to be dropped. it should have an encarwi carb, which is a piece of junk to start with, and it is mounted up inside the frame. as i mentioned in my earlier post, i asked if the airbox was mounted correctly. when sliding the engine up into the frame, its easy to knock the airbox off and not notice it. and if that happened, it explains why it bogs when giving it gas, too much air is entering the carb and not enough fuel can flow because it is restricted by main jet size. on the encarwi's, you can access the main jet without removing the carb. it is located on the lower right side of the carb body under a screw. some encarwis have a jet holder mounted in the screw, some have the jet mounted in theemulsion tube up inside the body under the screw.

well.. we know you da man when it comes to Tomos .. but where were you? ..munching hot dogs and getting drunk and a tan??

Don Pflueger /

lol no. i hada few beers last night, but didnt get drunk. my cable service is acting up. i can only get online once in a while, and it dont last very long. it rained again last night, so i'll be able to stay on for a while until everything dries out. then it will get sporadic again.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account