What is this and should I refill the oil?

Hi guys, I attached a file of a picture of something on my sachs moped. I took the cover off (it's where the oil drain plug is) and let the oil drain out. Do I need to refill this compartment and if so, do I fill it with oil-fuel mixture, pure 2 cycle oil, or what? Thanks, I feel so embarassed to ask such stupid and basic questions but I really don't have a clue. Thanks.

1120517681_9.jpg

Re: What is this and should I refill the oil?

put the plate back on, and fill it with Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF) Type F. Fill through the hole on the side of the plate, until it is even with the hole, then screw in the plastic plug.

Hey, thanks bud for such a quick reply. But I was wondering if I don't refill it, will it be bad for the moped? Do I even need to refill it? What do you call this compartment? Thanks.

that is the transmision and yes u need to refill it if not ur gear will run dry and eventually become and round disk lol and when u took that cover off, there should be a gasket make sure the gasket is not torn when u put it back on becus it will leak if torn.....also if it is torn use some black silicone and put it over the torn parts of the gasket....good luck

BlAiR

Hi, haha, I know it was a basic question but I wanted to just know. But anyways, where can I get some black silicone?

from the look of that sprocket and chain the thing's been leaking for a while.. Unless you are willing to risk serious engine damage, fix it right. I would not use silicone here for a few reasons.

This looks like a small, easily cut gasket. Get some gasket material at the auto parts store .. a paper-hole-puncher for bolt holes .. some new single-edge razor blades or an X-acto knife .. a sharp scissors. A ballpoint pen to trace the gasket..

The cover and mating surfaces must be clean.. carefully scrape all old gasket material from the parts.

Amodo: you need to get a manual for your bike/engine. Do a search. A lot of them are available on the net.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account