Puch Starter

I just salvaged a 1976 Puch Maxi from the dumpster. Decent shape.

It came with no starter cable. I installed a new starter cable, and cleaned the carb etc.

I am able to spin the motor with the spark plug out using the starter, but once I put the plug in, there doesent seem to be enough "clutch" to grab the flywheel. I am sure the cable is adjusted correctly. What could this be? Is there a starter clutch that needs replacing?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Matt

Re: Puch Starter

Didi you check the transmission fluid? It may be full of water which isn't as slippery as Type F ATF, that is what you need in there, drain whatever it is, refill if and try again.

I replaced the oil with 85 wt gear oil. I read that this will work.

I think the engine is a bit stiff from sitting so long. I am going to dive in and try and get some penetrating oil on the crank.

I noticed that even without the starter engaged, there is a fair amount of resistance on the drive sprocket.

How do I check to see if the starter clutch needs replacing?

Thanks,

Matt

See Ya Moped Army /

NEVER use 85 wt gear oil in a moped tranny. It takes ATF Type F.

OOps. I read that you could use that weight oil on the Moped Junkyard page. It has specs for Puch.

Luckilly the bike hasnt run, so I presume I didnt do any damage. I'll drain and refill with ATF Type F fluid.

Not only does the bike have trouble with the starter, but I am getting no juice out of the magneto.

I hooked up a mutimeter, and put one lead(neg) to the head, and tested voltages to the bus bar. No voltage is registering at any of the terminals when I turn it over.

Where should I check next?

I have no way of getting the flywheel off ( I can get the nut off with an impact driver, but I dont have a gear puller.

This bike is in decent shape, and definitely worth salvaging.

Any help.

Step one is to go HERE and grab all the Puch manuals ..

hey

check to make sure the decompression valve is not stuck shut. if it doesn*t open it will be real hard to pedal and so

hard to strart. adjust that decomp. cable too

With only one exception, the Puch engines do not have compression release valves. I think the exception is the Bombardier Puchs.

The 85W gear oil is way too thick, and has the wrong additives for a moped clutch. If I had made this error, I'd drain the gear oil, and maybe flush the transmission with some solvent (like tri-chlor), before refilling with the correct ATF type F.

Hopefully the gear oil did not ruin the clutch(es). Wonder why mopedjunkyard posted that info; everything else I have ever read calls for type F.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account