Exhaust help on an '80 Maxi.

Hey... just looking to get some tech help here. In my pipe there's a huge dent. The pipe is unobstructed and I've cleaned it out, but am I wrong in thinking that that kind of compression is bad for the bike? I'm probably going to replace it, but I didn't want to if you guys figured it was alright... and there's only 15 bucks between the regular exhaust and the biturbo one on mopedwarehouse. My only concern with the biturbo is the loudness issue. I'm not into that, and have no need to be showy about the bike. Is it really louder? Or does it make the bike have a lower sound? Any advice concerning this issue is MUCHO appreciated...

Re: Exhaust help on an '80 Maxi.

Jason Luther /

do you mean the header pipe (engine to muffler) or the muffler body? a huge dent in the header cant be too good. dent in muffler, no problem.

I've opened a header tube dent with a long steel bar and a hammer .. plink it out from the inside as best i could. An easier (?) way is to cut the tube at the dent, remove the dent and weld it back together.

You don't want a lot of exhaust restriction which could cause too much backpressure and overheat the piston. If the header is pretty much collapsed, open it or find a new pipe.

Performance pipes provide higher performance by harnessing and encouraging and directing powerful sound waves which help evacuate the cylinder of exhaust while packing more fuel into the cylinder. So they are going to be loud... noisy.. cop-callers. But what's annoying to some ears may be music to others.

For my daily ride i prefer a quiet, stock exhaust.. a moped attracts more than enough attention as it is, imo.

I meant the header pipe from the engine. The baffle is in great shape, but right at the turn of the header pipe there is a really large dent. Getting it out would be a lot of work.

I agree about the noise. I think I'll stick with the stock exhaust.

Thanks for your replies guys!

Jason Luther /

i have also deresticted my puch exhaust and got a nice increase in power. do a search for the thread. im about to cut the header at the base of the muffler and reattach a threaded rod to derestrict it some more. but i have wayy too many irons in the fire at the moment.

Got it. Thanks for the lead to the other thread.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account