new tomos won't start/run

We have a 2000 tomos Sprint. Liked it so much my family bought a couple of new Sprint's online. Problem is, one of peds won't start at all, and the other one will run for a minute but only with the choke on. When the choke is turned off it will die in a few seconds. I am new at this and don't know much about carbs .... thanks for any replies.

Re: new tomos won't start/run

Steamboat Aka J. R. Stevens /

http://www.mopedarmy.com/resources/articles/fredsguide/ Try Fred's guide from MA resources. Jim.

We also have a 2000 Tomos Sprint that we liked so much that we bought three more new ones online from Steve's Mopeds in New Jersey. Our local Tomos dealer says he was driven out of business by cheap Chinese bikes. One won't start at all. Another runs only with the choke on. And the third runs for a couple of minutes, but then stalls out. We suspect that Steve did absolutely nothing to tune them up, and we've never looked at carbs either, so we're pretty lost.

I's probley the carbs. But beofre you do that buy new sparkplugs, change the trans fluid, and clean the air filter out and see if that has any affect. But are these new bikes or preowned with miles on them?

Ben Van Zoest /

Give more info, how many miles, new or used, were these peds defective trade-ins he sold you. Best you could do, find Tomos service manuals, read and read moped fixes...

Good luck guys!

The three tomos we have are brand new and that is why we are so disappointed that they do not run.

Steve's is selling new mopeds that don't run???? Something sounds awfully fishy! SHEEESH!

yo bring em back to steves

change the transoil and the plugs, do you have the right mix

steves is pretty goood know they didnt sell u a shit on wheels

there nto that gay

George Smith /

450 bucks for a jawa motor....i rest my case on steve :P

Sounds like most or all of these bikes have carb problems. It's not all that unusual, if they sat around in storage for a year or more. The problem is old gasoline, not the bike itself.

Pull the carb, remove the float bowl. Clean it out in there, and then make sure the main jet is totally clear. Reassemble, put fresh gas in along with a new plug - and try it.

Don Pflueger /

http://mopedriders.org/viewtopic.php?t=3275&sid=b181b378df48b50424dcb6efed679ffe

"Monday a man brought 4 new Tomos Sprints to me that he had purchased online from Steve's Mopeds. All 4 were improperly assembled and 3 wouldn't run at all. "

steves must be pretty gay if they cant follow assembly instructions that come with the bikes they sell and another tomos dealer has to fix them.

John Joedicke /

Bryan at Mountain Moped is stuck with crap that Steve's pushed out the door. Too bad a dealer has to look after anothers inferior workmanship.

_All 4 were improperly assembled and 3 wouldn’t run at all_

That's pretty depressing. Remind me to not buy anything from Steve's.

Hey!

Enough with the gay remarks... what does being gay have to do with being a good mechanic... or a sleazy moped dealer for heaven's sake lol..

George Smith /

heh 450bucks for a jawa motor.....not only does he not put things together right he rapes ya on the price :P

i bought my ped at Steve's too nd since i got it i have had so many problems tht had to do wit faulty assembly so take ur mopeds to another dealer nd tell him to look at the assembly.

Chris CMM

have you tried adjusting the idle screw on the carb, if it's turned down to low the engne will stall ?

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account