Re: Newb (Puch head)

Legendre /
This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.

IPOOKforFUN (if that's your real name..),

There is a very good reason that I left the note about compression for the last. Fact of the matter is - a compression tester cannot tell you if a head gasket is leaking. All it can do is provide a compression figure.

Example: My Solo engine has a compression figure of 145#. My friend's Solo has 165#. Tell me, is my head gasket leaking? (Don't even bother).

Even if you know the specified compression, or have a figure from a previous known-good condition, a low compression reading tells you nothing at all about what is causing the loss of compression. Could be rings / piston, bad crank seals, bad reed valve, blockage in the ports, a leak at the compression release valve (actually, most Puchs don't have one) - or, of course, a leaking head gasket.

The tests I suggested all can help to pinpoint a bad head gasket. Unless you own an amazing compression tester with an LED on it that says "HEAD GASKET LEAK", I don't know what use it would be in determining the state of the head gasket, in the presence of so many other variables.

By the way, I don't take this personally. But, if someone is going to come along and try to contradict good information with bad, I am going to set that straight. Fair enough?

This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account