Puch Upgrade: 1sp to 2sp

Can I swap out my 1 speed engine with a 2 speed engine on my Puch Maxi?

Will the 2 speed have different wiring?

Also, can I use a Magnum engine in a Maxi?

Thanks,

Dave

Re: Puch Upgrade: 1sp to 2sp

I have done this conversion several times, and basically would not recommend it. You can get a lot more horsepower and speed from going with a speedkit. There are a lot of options available out there for the Puch, so it will pay to look around a bit. I've attached a link for the speedkit that I would recommend in your case. It is a simple bolt on procedure, and this upgrade will not only add class to your machine, but gobs of low end torque and high end tuna packing power.

1120150186_puch_speed_kit.jpg

Thanks. I'm so happy with your advice. Here is a photo of you giving me advice.

Thanks!

1120159684_godfrey_standup.jpg

Since you seem like a pretty shaky mechanic, I thought it would be useful to provide a picture of me giving you an installation tutorial.

1120162183_installation_tutorial.jpg

Hey, this conversation was totally helpful to me in my own moped project. Here's a picture of me completely understanding you guys.

1120164424_this_totally_makes_sense.jpg

Bump. Anyone?

I, too, would like to know about this, actually. I've got a '77 Newport. My main concern is the engine-holding bolts and stuff. I haven't bothered to look yet... yikes! Hahaha.

Okay, I will contribut what I know about this, which is incomplete. However, I will say that you can do a search on this because it has been discussed previously.

First, the engines on the Puchs were interchangeable and should bolt right onto the Maxi or Magnum frames.

HOWEVER...while you can use a Magnum top end on a Maxi (and viceversa), the exhaust pipes will NOT work as readily. If you use the Maxi top end, you'll need to use the Maxi exhaust (and viceversa, as I was informed) or you will have to make modifications with welding, drilling etc. Puch did make a one speed Magnum (I think they called it the "Cobra") and if you look at it, it has the Maxi style exhaust rather than the larger Magnum exhaust. If you do a search, I believe Mopedlar got one of these running within the last few months and posted a photo on this website somewhere. He can tell you way more about this than can I.

But at least it is a start.

And no extraneous tuna shots.

Thanks so much! I'm so excited to get back from vacation now so I can bolt on my ZA-50 to the Newport!

Actually the 1 Speed Magnum was called a Puch Magnum(or Magnum LTD), the two speed was called a Magnum MKII, the Cobra is similar, but different.

As he said they bolt up perfect, though you may have trouble with the intake, on the 2 speed you need a taller intake to clear the cases, and you will also need ot relocate the coil. It is pretty straight forward though.

Wiring should be OK as long as they both have the same number of wires, I think the numbers are 5 or 6 between the different magnetos on Puchs, but it can be done either way.

Puch Upgrade: 1sp to 2sp

I converted my 2spd Puch Maxi Sport MKII into a 1spd, and it bolted up fairly easily. There were some slight differences between the E50 and ZA50 though--the exhaust was slightly misaligned where it bolts onto the frame (solved by a little creative drilling), the airbox got jammed between the ignition coil and the carb (but fit, if you smashed it in hard enough), and the middle sidecover screw wasn't aligned with the hole anymore, since it goes through the airbox (solved with a drill and tap).

i have to say i have been a hardcore e50 fan for awhile now, but next weekend i am getting a za 50 and i am excited as hell to start using it

with my e50 i am hitting just about 40 with my head tucked down on a long stretch of road, at this point there isn't a whole lot more i can do without getting a larger carb and doing some serious porting and polishing, i already dont have that great of low end so i am pretty much stuck at 40,

my plan for the za50 is to swap out my e50 and build the za50 up the same way my e50 is built now, except open the exhuast a little wider and switch gearing, i figure gearing is the one thing thats holding me back from easily breaking the 40 mph barrier, with the za50 i should be able to gear for the top end and still have enough bottom end to keep me satisfied, i hoping that when i am all done i should be able to hit 45 with adequate low end

Brian Mikami /

Look at the pics in the photos link above. Under 'customs' there's quite a few Maxis with the 2 speed motors. While I'm happy with my E50, I wanna get my Magnum running so I can see why so many guys here love the 2 speed...I've been told a lot of clutch work can really make it move on bottom and top end...stall, shift points etc. Good luck.

Sean Taylor 9/18/1971 - 1/14/2007 /

How does one or does anyone know what the Puch Maxiluxe has on it?

if your sitting on the bike, facing forward, the right side, clutch side would be either rectangular if its a 2 speed, or roundish if its a single speed, the 2 speed is called a ZA50 and the single speed is called an E50, chances are if it s a luxe i think they came oringinally with single speeds

butnut what does it mean when they say the 2 speeds clutches are modified for "stall"

Sean Taylor 9/18/1971 - 1/14/2007 /

Oh ok, thanks Bret.

Brian Mikami /

Hey Brett. I'm not too hip on 2 speeds yet, but Rigid and Clinton are and they have told me that the 2 speed has a lot that can be done for better acceleration. Stall, as I know it, is where you can rev higher before the clutch engages giving more torque from a dead stop. But before I put my foot in my mouth, maybe you can ask them for some details about 2 speed mods. I do hope to learn all about the 2 speed and see what my Magnum can do. Still having a blast with my Maxi, I'd imagine a 2 speed is double the fun...

so pretty much like a ratchet shifter on a car with an automatic transmission, where you can shift the gear your self only when the rpms are at their peak for each gear range

that makes since, thats got to be a great mod because a lot of the 2 speeds i have ridden all shift at different times, and a lot of them seem to shift way to early,

i spoke with rigid a couple weeks ago about some parts i was looking for, do you guys go riding a lot?

Brian Mikami /

I have'nt rode with anyone yet. Hope to one day...seems to be an underground thing here, but there are a few Puch owners and I have heard of one 'club'. I did get to meet Rigid and Clinton and it's great to know fellow Puch nuts who know a LOT about these bikes. Clinton did mention about dialing in shift points, that's when ya really need a tach.

Hawaii seems to be know for it's fast scooters as there is a lot if interest here, see 'em all over, but lately not so much. It's nice to know some real Puch fanatics here who go deep into tweaking the most out of that motor...lucky I live hea.

yeah its funny, there seems to be about a dozen or so guys there with insanely tricked out bikes, with a lot of parts that you cant get very easily,

i have been working to get a specific carburetor on a specific speed kit with a specific reedvalve cage and have been having trouble figuring out just how to do it, both clinton and rigid replied to my e mails with some tips

you can adjust the single speed puch clutches so they grab sooner or later, i think you can do that with most automatic moped clutches, i just know about doing it for the puchs, i would love to learn where they get all their 2 speed stuff and just how they go about doing it

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account