Puch Back lights don't work (yes I searched)

Hi,

Just got two puchs, a newport II 2HP and a maxi Luxe 2HP, both 1981.

The running lights and brake lights on the newport don't work.

The running light on the maxi luxe dosn't work either.

I played mix and match with bulbs, and all of them owrk, (I teste on the functioning maxi brake light)

I followed the wires, and they all seem intact, I reconnected at the junction box, and checked for shorts, nothing...

any thoughts?

I guess I shold pick up a multimeter, and test test the grey line? or all of them for that matter? If I do this what SHOULD I get as a result?

Thanks!

Re: Puch Back lights don't work (yes I searched)

if it's both of them, is the ground good?

I hate the way the wires have to run in the fender, on most peds. Really easy to wear thru one.

Are you talking about a ground that comes straight from the wire harness junction box (near the petcock) that connects to the transmission? Yes that one is good

oh yeah forgot to add that I also verified that the switch was good, by doing the same mix and match that i did with the bulbs

Mike Scouty McScoutington /

get yourself a wiring diagram. looks can be diseaving with electronics. do you have a meter? if you do go ahead and check all of your wires for continuity. i have a buddy whos lights would not work and he just rewired the rats nest after cleaning all of the contact surfaces and both of his lights then worked, and were very bright.

Steamboat Aka J. R. Stevens /

http://www.mopedriders.org/html/manuals/dempsey/dempsey5.pdf This is a link to the Dempsey Repair Manual at MRA. Page 150 contains alight system schematic for peds of that era. Notice a black wire comes off the magneto, changes to blue at the Zen-er or left brake switch.If either brake lever is pulled or either brake switch is bad, your running and speedo light will not burn. Hope this helps. Jim.

I just had the same problem. What it turned out to be was that the male connectors on the wire leads were pushed off the female buses on the backside of the light fixture. I had to take the fixture off (which turned out to be another nightmare), put the leads back on and put the fixture on again. I got new 6v bulbs from scooterworks.com. My 80 puch maxi takes one 5 watt and one 10 watt bulb...the 10 watt is for the stop light on top (I think the grey wire leads to that). You'll also need your switches to be working for the brake light to work.

See Ya Moped Army /

You could also have a bad lighting coil in your magneto. It's a very common ailment on older Puchs.

After reading he puch manual online again,

it explains in the troubleshooting that the tail light will not work unless the headlight is on, so thats step one...

The nanual also explains how to verify the circuits using a ohmeter, so I guess i'll drop buy radio shack on the way home today...

I'll keep you posted

Thanks

thats "Manual" and "drop BY radio shack"

If this is the case, can i replace just the lighting coil?

See Ya Moped Army /

Yes.

I had that problem with my tail light…

I finally figured out that the plastic reflector the bulbs screw in to had a hairline crack in the back that was not visible from the front (because of the foil of the reflector)

They crack if you tightnen the screws on either side too much..

The ground connections runs right through the middle of it and the crack breaks the connection!

As soon as I replaced the reflector my lights work great!

Maybe worth checking out :P

I've attached a exploded view of the tail light, is the reflector part number (23) ?, if so, both of the screws that hold the red cover (24) on cracked the black plastic connectors.

How do I remove this reflector? is it just a simple tug? (i dont' want to screw things up even worse!)

Thanks

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account