PLEASE HELP ME GET TO WORK

i cant find a copper wire!!!!!

no one i have been to has it. also no one ive been to has the NGK 5K cap. i dont know what is going on. also i pulled the plug wire from my puch newport ,cause that isnt working either. unfortunatly it is not the correct gauge for the novi coil and it keeps popping out. forgive me if this sounds like a simple fix but it isnt for me cause i never have done it. so anyway i am able to get it going for a while with the puch cable but it is a bitch to get going and then i seem to lose power at low throttle. i dont know if the throttle issue has anything to do with the wire but i thought i would throw it in there since i hadnt had any problems since i started in with this plug buisiness. please help i need to fix this. the 15 mile ride to work is scary with no reliable transportation, let alone it is horribly frustrating and does not make for a good day in a 100 degree shop

thanx

Re: PLEASE HELP ME GET TO WORK

bandit,

Ok, you've stumbled across one of several annoyances on the Motobecane.

Most plug wires used on motorbikes are 7mm, solid core wire. Cars tend to use a 8mm carbon/graphite core wire. For some reason, the wire on the Motobecane is like 5.5 or 6mm - don't recall having seen it on anything else.

I don't have a source for it either.

Since you're going for originality on this bike, it might be worth the $12.95+ship to get one of those red OEM wires from mopedjunkyard. In the meantime, I think you're going to have to use whatever fits in the hole(s), and see if it works. Re-use whatever cap you have now (it screws onto the end of the wire).

HEY.. wait a second.. I just had a flash of insight.. I know where I've seen red high-voltage cable of a similar diameter - in color TVs / computer monitors! The big red wire that hooks up to the back of the CRT, with a piece that looks like a suction cup on the end. The wire is part of the flyback transformer, and a shop that services TVs and monitors is bound to have one or two junk flybacks around the place. Same for places that do computer salvage work / materials re-processing.

Make a few calls, see if you can turn up a wire for free.. unless you know what you are doing, I don't suggest you dig into a monitor yourself. They can hold the HV charge a long time after they are off, and you can accidentally lie down forever if you mess up.

Mike Scouty McScoutington /

you could always call 1977 mopeds. they have all of that good stuff in stock. they have all kinds of motobecane stuff. word is that they have a nos engine for a 50 that still has the plastic plugs in the intake and exhaust. it is a pretty engine. oh yeah, their number is (269) 344-1977

Look for vw bug parts. Most cheap wire sets are 7mm copper core, just about any color you need.

a local motorcycle shop may have something that would work.

If 7mm won't fit, trim the insulation down untill it's small enough.

Get it to work, for work, worry about original parts later.

thanx everyone i ordered from moped junkyard this morning.

they say it will ship today.

George Smith /

original is only good in a full restoration kinda deal hell i have a puch muffler on a batavus pipe going to a jawa engine :P

well here is the deal, i dont really want everything original, it would be nice to but it isnt necessary. i just want to get the right parts for the bike so nothing get screwed up. as long as it fits and doesnt slow me down i am ok with it. for example, my 40T has a garelli seat and bicycle pedals, and i dont care cause they work.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account