inline fuel filter?

i want to put one on my Maxi . what size should i get?

Re: inline fuel filter?

Edward Edwards /

Your fuel line should be 3/16" so your filter should be 3/16" too.

Brian Mikami /

Yup. I got the 'better' fuel filter from MopedJunkyard with new hose. Wierd thing is that the fliter seems to have been made for a 1/4" hose. I could not get the 3/16" hose to slip over the filter ridged ends. I ended up using my Dremel to make the tips smaller so now it fits good. The petcock has a 3/16" spout, so that's the size hose ya need. It is critical that you don't kink your fuel line, I had to redo the line a few times to get good flow without kinking it. I'll try and take a pic.

MoPedLar showed me a trick that you should do when fitting the filter and hose that will not only prevent kinking but also help trap sediment and, if you have side covers, give you a good visual of the fuel line/filter. Anyway, use a good 6 to 8 inch length of hose going down from the petcock and loop up to the filter. This should be _outside_ of the side cover where you'd see it with the sidecover in place. Then go from the filter outlet back under the sidecover up to the carb.

Brian Mikami /

This was my 4th attempt to get the smoothest flow with the least bends and length of hose. Being the fuel is gravity fed, the shortest route is best as one possible issue I had was fuel starvation.

It looks like, just above the top of the filter element, there is the air pocket you are referring to. I had that also at one time. My suggestion would be to put a pan under the ped, or do this outside on the ground so a little gas spilling won't bother you, and, with the petcock _open_ pull the hose off the petcock and let what dribbles out fill the air pocket/void. Then push the hose back onto the petcock. Jim

Brian Mikami /

Must be the bad pic Jim...yeah, I had that bubble but took care of it just like you said..good tip. Gas pouring out always freaks me out, I pulled that damn carb off so many times and tried all kinds of hose runs, it was quite a smelly mess. All good now. Thanks.

Matthew Scholtens /

The shop I bought my fuel filter from was just like butnut's one. The 1/4" was the smallest size they had even though everything else I had used 3/16" tubing. If you insert a needle nose pliers into the tubing and open them, you can momentarily stretch the tubing to make it eaiser to attach the fuel filter. Hope that trick is useful.

Matthew

John Joedicke /

Heat it with a heat gun, hot water or a hair dryer to make the line more pliable.

Brian Mikami /

'Slaps froehead'...excellent tips guys. I just got in the habbit of reaching for the Dremel when ever something did'nt fit. My most used tool I have.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account