ciao spark problems

I recently left for a few weeks and my Ciao was in great condition. However, when I came back I found that my moped no longer started up. Furthermore, it seems that I am not getting spark. It has been rather hot and humid lately--is there any reason why the temperature would prevent any spark? Ideas?

Cheers,

Brennen

Re: ciao spark problems

Bruce Wilkinson /

Did you do the test for spark by removing the plug with HT wire on and holding it against the cylinder while someone pedaled ?

Yep, I did just that, but no spark.

Bruce Wilkinson /

Check that the wires that go the engine are still connected to the clips. Check that the tail or brake light bulbs are not blown. Check the switch is on and wires are attached to it. bruce

Yep, wires are still connected to the engine. Break lights look good. Switch is still in good shape (wire attached securely). Any other ideas?

Bruce Wilkinson /

Try a new spark plug. Is the plug cap on tight ? I've run out of simlpe suggestions.The engine must be removed to do the following. There are small LT coils under the flywheel. The one that is for the ignition has a wire that comes very close to the cam and it may have been worn through from rubbing on the cam. I had no spark once and this was the problem.Without removing the engine ,you can check the points setting under the rubber plug on the flywheel Set them at .017". bruce

test for spark with a brand new plug .. or one KNOWN to be good. Aside from a plug, ignition components rarely fail..

A bike that sits for weeks can be very hard to start.. after a few failed attemtps the plug fouls and it appears to be an ignition problem, but it could be just a fouled plug. Try a new one.

Bruce, I took the engine out today and inspected the flywheel though I couldn't remove the flywheel. Do I need a flywheel remover tool of some sort? I checked and set the points, still not helping. I've tried a few spark plugs, none seem to work. Perhaps I'll buy a new one and get back to you.

Could be a defective condensor and/or points.

Check the wire that connects to the back of the coil. Also check the black ignition ground wire on the top right side of the engine to make sure it is connected securely. This is your ignition ground and you won't get spark if this wire is not properly connected.

Have you tried starter spray in the spark plug hole. Sometimes it seems like you are not getting spark and it is actually a clogged main jet in the carb. Try this test before you remove the engine again to replace points and condensor.

If the engine tries to kick over with starter spray, then remove the carb and clean it.

I am sure that it is a spark problem (electrical) as I fail to see any spark even after testing it--carb seems to be working just fine. Is there any way to see if the condensor is bad (some sort of test)? Additionally, how do I get the flywheel off in order to investigate the coils? Thanks

Bruce Wilkinson /

The flywheel comes off via a special puller. I had a friend make one for me. Zippy mopeds sells them. Some people are able to get the flywheel off by whacking the 'bell' of the flywheel with a rubber mallet to free it up and pulling it off. Do not hit and break the fins.

I'm not sure how to test the condensor. bruce

Bruce Wilkinson /

What make and number sparkplug are you using ??

How to test a condenser (capacitor)

Bruce, I was using a Champion L86C plug, but I heard from various people that such a plug was the wrong way to go. Since my ciao went capoots on me, I've tried using another L86C then switched over to brand new NGK B5HS and B6HS, niether of which give me any spark. I shouldn't have any trouble with these ones, should I? I used the brand new ones yesterday to test spark but didn't have any luck. Any other ideas? Thank you Zippy for that tutorial, I'll see what I can do. I

So I recently replaced my points on my Ciao and I'm still not getting anything. The condensor was bad so I pulled the wires out of it and simply connected the two wires together (do I necessarily need the condensor?). Any other ideas? Would a new condensor help? I'm running out of ideas.

Thanks,

Brennen

Bruce Wilkinson /

You need a condenser.It prevents arcing across the points as they separate. How did you get the flywheel off ?. Are any of the small coil wires worn through or broken near the cam ? What do mean by the condenser was so bad ? Leaking ? rusted ? bruce

I ended up purchasing a flywheel puller from Zippy...rubber mallet trick wasn't working out for me. I didn't see any wires worn through near the cam, though I can take another look just in case. The wires heading into the condenser were wearing out and looked frayed. According to a friend you can simply connect the wires and put some electrical tape around them. This won't suffice? Thanks.

Leon Swarmer /

Yes you need the condensor. Get a new one

Anybody happen to have a spare condenser that I could buy off of them? I know zippy has them but I just ordered from him and yeah...just curious. Thanks.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account