bing carb problems

If i do not have my float bowl gasket on will my carb not suck gas right because i dont have mine in and i stalls after the float bowl runs out of gas.

Re: bing carb problems

please help

Assuming we're talking about the little Bing carb, with the round float bowl that screws onto the carb body..

The gasket is there to prevent sloshing gas from leaking out around the edges of the bowl-body connection. It should have no real effect on running, if it were missing . The float bowl is vented to the atmosphere already, via the bowl vent passage.

But you mention that the float bowl runs out of gas. That sounds like a fuel supply problem - plugged fuel valve, filter(s), lines etc. Possibly an issue with the fuel inlet needle & seat. Doubt that the gasket is playing any role in this, but I would replace it anyway, as it is there for a reason.

the fitting on the carb where the fuel line goes,take it off and there is a screen there,make sure its clean.make sure theres no kinks in the fuel line,and make sure the float needle and passage is clean.that gasket your tlking about like lege says wont effect the bike running.it just keeps all the gas you have in there from constantly leaking all over the place

Actully the gasket by not being there it's thickness leaves some space at the bottom of the jet and also without it the float may not drop as low, and won't open the needle as much letting in less gas that the blocked jet "forgive the Pun but I have to". pass the correct amount of gas.Jim

jim,

You make an interesting point.. not having the gasket should only reduce the total volume of gas in the bowl by a small amount. But if the clearances in the float bowl are tight enough (since the carb is so small), having the bowl screwed on too far might be able to interfere with the float. I hadn't even considered that.

How thick is the gasket, when new? I've never had to replace one of mine, but I would assume it's in the 1-2mm area.

Got it fixed it was the gasket one of the thickest gaskets i have ever seen it was preventing the float from dropping so gas wouldnt flow thanks.

Nice.. thanks for reporting back. And kudos to jim for nailing that one on the head.

Thanks yeah I noticed when I got a new gasket. It was quite thick 1.5 maybe 2mm.I took a closer look and the way the jet gets realtight to the floor of the bowl so gas wouldn't flow to the jet, and float not dropping as far letting in less gas I'm sure it was one of those problems if not a combo of both.Jim

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account